Freeplaytech Forum

Full Version: Custom Images
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If I want to install a prepackaged image can I do so? or do I need the official Freeplay image? Do you suggest that I edit ur prepackaged image or do I retrofit my image with your code? I am a kickstarter backer awaiting my kit. I think it should get here sometime next month.
Can you explain a bit more about what you would like to do? I can then offer a suggestion.

We have a pre-made SD image. We also have instructions/scripts to modify an existing Raspbian installation.
(09-22-2017, 06:57 AM)Flavor Wrote: [ -> ]Can you explain a bit more about what you would like to do?  I can then offer a suggestion.

We have a pre-made SD image.  We also have instructions/scripts to modify an existing Raspbian installation.

Lets say I want to install a prepackaged image for the zero...like the ones listed on websites like arcadepunks can I just add scripts to that image to make it work with the freeplay?
Yes. That's how it's meant to work. Most people will just grab the premade image, but you can add the scripts and run them to get the Freeplay Zero/CM3 functionality working. I think it should work on any RetroPie image (and likely anything based off of Raspbian).
Also, I was just informed that http://www.gamewizard.ca/ has a new image in their downloads section that works on Freeplay Zero. I have not tried it.
Just curious, why would Game Wizard make a special image for the FPZ? What is the relationship?
There's not much of a relationship. From what I understand, he lives in the same city where RetroModding is located. RetroModding mentioned that the GW guy is working on a lot of scripting and such, and I thought it'd be pretty good to have another guy that knows the operating system level stuff working with the Freeplay Zero. I sent him a unit (actually an older GPA board), and he's been playing with it on and off for a while now.

From what I understand he has a whole bunch of scripts that he maintains (that makes up the GameWizard environment) and he just added them to the Freeplay Zero SD image. I guess I don't know the internals of all that, but I think it's probably the same process that he'd use when a new RetroPie image was released. So, he has a FPZ and he just makes a GW that runs on it.

For me, it's been good to have someone I can ask technical questions about settings and scripts and such. Otherwise, I guess it's nice to have another option for users, but I wouldn't say it's the recommended way to set up a Freeplay Zero. I am always interested in having more options for people, though. I think I mentioned it to you before, but I'd really like to see a RecalBox image set up for the FPZ. I haven't messed with it at all myself, but I know that some people really prefer it.
Wow thanks for taking the time to explain the background story. It's really informative. What a nice community!