Freeplaytech Forum
My new addiction (NGPC) - Printable Version

+- Freeplaytech Forum (https://forum.freeplaytech.com)
+-- Forum: Neo Geo Pocket (https://forum.freeplaytech.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General (https://forum.freeplaytech.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: My new addiction (NGPC) (/showthread.php?tid=4100)

My new addiction (NGPC) - Louie - 04-08-2014

This story starts back in 1999. I was attending a conference in Salt Lake City and during a break in the schedule I wandered across the street from the conference centre to a game store. I was thinking about picking up a Gameboy to keep me occupied on the five hour flight home. As I was browsing the games I noticed that there was another handheld system on the shelf. It was the Neo Geo Pocket Color. At that time I had never heard of SNK or Neo Geo but it looked cool. I left the store without buying anything. I figured that my new fiancé would be miffed if I came home with yet another device that played games. We were supposed to be saving up for our wedding.

In the time between then and now I learned about SNK, and Neo Geo, but I somehow forgot about the NGPC.

A year ago I decided to become a retro gamer. I was fed up with the direction that modern games are going in and wanted to experience some old school goodness again. I subscribed to Retro Gamer magazine. In one issue I came across a reference to the Neo Geo Pocket Color and I said "Oh yeah, I forgot about that." I looked it up online and saw that it had a small but awesome collection of games. It sounded about right for what I was looking for. I did not want to collect hundreds of games. I just wanted some old school goodness on the go.

I spent a couple of months watching EBay too see what the going rates were for systems and games. Then two weeks ago I decided to jump in. I probably went a little overboard.

I now have two hardware units and have purchased all of the following games:

Fatal Fury F Contact
King of Fighters R2
Samurai Showdown 2
Match of the Millennium
Card Fighters SNK
Card Fighters Capcom
Metal Slug 1st Mission
Metal Slug 2nd Mission
Dive Alert : Matts Version
Dark Arms
Bio Motor Unitron
Bust'A'Move Mini
Picture Puzzle
Puzzle Link 2
Pacman
Sonic Pocket Adventures
Neo Turf Masters
Pocket Tennis Color
Dynamite Slugger
Neo Geo Cup 98 Plus

Most of these are cart only (cheap).

I am running out of games that I can afford to buy though. I saw a copy of Faselei (English) for $150 in a local store. My jaw dropped. Who pays that? I will have to start trolling for dealings now and hope that I can find the remaining games on my hit list at descent prices eventually. They are:

Faselei
Last Blade
Gals Fighter
Magical Drop Pocket

I also intend to get a Flash Masta to play homebrew and translated games.

In any case, NGPC is my new favourite toy.

RE: My new addiction (NGPC) - Louie - 05-08-2014

Update : I now have copies of Faselei, Last Blade, Gals Fighters and the Flash Masta. I also ordered Puzzle Link 1.

The only thing left on my want list is Magical Drop Pocket. Anyone know where I can get an english copy of the game?

RE: My new addiction (NGPC) - Flavor - 05-11-2014

I thought that Magical Drop Pocket wasn't so difficult to find.

I'm quite impressed at your collection, even if it has a lot of loose carts. It's not so easy to pull all of that together. Great work!

I'm sorry that I didn't respond to your first post, as I may have been able to help you with Gals Fighter anyway. Things have been a bit crazy for a month or so. I don't know if that will let up for me, but I am working on a plan to get some new Flashmasta/Freeplay stuff going.

RE: My new addiction (NGPC) - Louie - 05-12-2014

(05-11-2014, 11:31 AM)Flavor Wrote: I thought that Magical Drop Pocket wasn't so difficult to find.

There was a copy that sold on EBay one week before I started looking. Since then the only copies I have seen are all Japanese versions. I am sure that if I am patient a copy will turn up eventually.

Can't wait to see what your new plans are!

RE: My new addiction (NGPC) - Louie - 05-29-2014

A US copy of Magical Drop Pocket came up on EBay today so I pounced on it. The game is Complete In Box and looks to be in mint condition. The cost was a bit high ($50) and shipping costs pushed it higher but I decided to splurge. Neo Poke and PSP are the only two systems I am collecting for so its not like I am going to get carried away and spend a small fortune.

RE: My new addiction (NGPC) - Loïc - 05-29-2014

(05-29-2014, 05:25 AM)Louie Wrote: A US copy of Magical Drop Pocket came up on EBay today so I pounced on it. The game is Complete In Box and looks to be in mint condition. The cost was a bit high ($50) and shipping costs pushed it higher but I decided to splurge. Neo Poke and PSP are the only two systems I am collecting for so its not like I am going to get carried away and spend a small fortune.

Good luck if you want boxed games like pocket reversi or picture puzzle (us).

RE: My new addiction (NGPC) - Louie - 05-29-2014

(05-29-2014, 07:53 AM)Loïc Wrote:
(05-29-2014, 05:25 AM)Louie Wrote: A US copy of Magical Drop Pocket came up on EBay today so I pounced on it. The game is Complete In Box and looks to be in mint condition. The cost was a bit high ($50) and shipping costs pushed it higher but I decided to splurge. Neo Poke and PSP are the only two systems I am collecting for so its not like I am going to get carried away and spend a small fortune.

Good luck if you want boxed games like pocket reversi or picture puzzle (us).

I bought Picture Puzzle as a loose cart and I plan to skip Pocket Reversi. The only games that I have purchased CIB are Magical Drop, Puyo Pop, Neo geo Cup 98 and Dynamite Slugger. The rest of my collection are all loose carts. I don't really care about boxes and manuals but the copies that came up had them so I bought them. Maybe I will give the boxes away some day.