l2/r2 analog stick board
(08-07-2021, 08:40 AM)OnlyCatapults Wrote:
(07-27-2021, 03:01 PM)OnlyCatapults Wrote: Okay, we're making progress, everything is working now except my L2/R2.  Analog, face buttons.  Everything else is great!

Interestingly, it seems I'm able to assign the L2/R2 buttons in the actual make config, but after I run `gpio readall` post setup, they're not showing as being pressed at all.

I've attached 3 files now:
  • The readout before L2/R2 was pressed.
  • The same readout after both have been pressed and held in.
  • The contents of `/mk_arcade_joystick.conf`

Thanks again so much for your help with this.

Hey, bumping.  Still haven't quite figured this issue out, if anybody is willing to help me.
I didn't notice this before. It's good that you bumped. Check your mk_arcade_joystick.conf file and look at the gpio=4,17,6,5,19,26,16,18,23,24,15,14,-20,-43,-42,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1 piece.

The -20 is okay.  That's normal, as the power button is wired differently than all the others.
The -43 and -42 aren't good if you're using our hardware.
Try changing the whole thing to this:
gpio=4,17,6,5,19,26,16,18,23,24,15,14,-20,43,42,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1
I hope that'll fix L2/R2. 

Try that and post about what is still left to fix.
Card Fighters' Clash 2 English Translation ( http://cfc2english.blogspot.com/ )
Neo Geo Pocket Flash Cart and Linker Project ( http://www.flashmasta.com/ )
Avatar art thanks to Trev-Mun ( http://trevmun.deviantart.com/ )
All seems to be working!

Flavor, I really can't thank you enough. I appreciate your patience and guidance, sincerely.
Running into this error when building from image `Freeplay_CM3_20051201`

Creating symlink /var/lib/dkms/mk_arcade_joystick_rpi/0.1.6.3/source ->
                 /usr/src/mk_arcade_joystick_rpi-0.1.6.3

DKMS: add completed.
Error! echo
Your kernel headers for kernel 4.14.98-v7+ cannot be found at
/lib/modules/4.14.98-v7+/build or /lib/modules/4.14.98-v7+/source.
Error! echo
mk_arcade_joystick_rpi already present in /etc/modules
You may need to edit /etc/modules by hand

/etc/modprobe.d/mk_arcade_joystick.conf exists and contains options for mk_arcade_joystick_rpi
Already contain lines for v0.1.5.10+ of the driver

modprobe: ERROR: ../libkmod/libkmod.c:586 kmod_search_moddep() could not open moddep file '/lib/modules/4.14.98-v7+/modules.dep.bin'
modprobe: FATAL: Module mk_arcade_joystick_rpi not found in directory /lib/modules/4.14.98-v7+
It is recommended that you run 'sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/mk_arcade_joystick.conf' to set up desired parameters.

After reboot none of the controller inputs are registered (i.e. can't navigate EmulationStation, for example) and WiFi doesn't connect so can't SSH in.

Any ideas/thoughts on this?
(01-21-2022, 10:18 AM)abd333 Wrote: Running into this error when building from image `Freeplay_CM3_20051201`

Error! echo
Error! echo

/etc/modprobe.d/mk_arcade_joystick.conf exists and contains options for mk_arcade_joystick_rpi

modprobe: ERROR: ../libkmod/libkmod.c:586 kmod_search_moddep() could not open moddep file '/lib/modules/4.14.98-v7+/modules.dep.bin'
modprobe: FATAL: Module mk_arcade_joystick_rpi not found in directory /lib/modules/4.14.98-v7+
It is recommended that you run 'sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/mk_arcade_joystick.conf' to set up desired parameters.

After reboot none of the controller inputs are registered (i.e. can't navigate EmulationStation, for example) and WiFi doesn't connect so can't SSH in.

Hey abd333,

Would you take a look at this thread, and see if you think it's likely the same issue?  I think it seems like the same.  If so, this may be some new issue.  Please reply there.

https://forum.freeplaytech.com/showthread.php?tid=5292

I'd be curious to know what steps lead you to this.  I think there is something happening here where the kernel and the kernel source code headers get out of sync.  Then, you can't build the mk_arcade driver.  

Thanks,
Ed
Card Fighters' Clash 2 English Translation ( http://cfc2english.blogspot.com/ )
Neo Geo Pocket Flash Cart and Linker Project ( http://www.flashmasta.com/ )
Avatar art thanks to Trev-Mun ( http://trevmun.deviantart.com/ )
(01-22-2022, 06:39 AM)Flavor Wrote:
(01-21-2022, 10:18 AM)abd333 Wrote: Running into this error when building from image `Freeplay_CM3_20051201`

Error! echo
Error! echo

Hey abd333,

Would you take a look at this thread, and see if you think it's likely the same issue?  I think it seems like the same.  If so, this may be some new issue.  Please reply there.

https://forum.freeplaytech.com/showthread.php?tid=5292

I'd be curious to know what steps lead you to this.  I think there is something happening here where the kernel and the kernel source code headers get out of sync.  Then, you can't build the mk_arcade driver.  

Thanks,
Ed

Hey Ed, thanks for linking that thread! You were correct, this was indeed the root issue. Here are the exact steps that gave me a working solution:

1. Fresh install of IMAGE=Freeplay_CM3_20051201

2. SSH and do: `cd ~/Freeplay/mk_arcade_joystick_rpi/; make config`. This SUCCEEDS -- device recognizes all buttons including L2+R2. Here is relevant stdout snippet:

[L2] button bind on pin 43
, reversed logic
[R2] button bind on pin 42
, reversed logic
After system reboots, L2+R2 buttons are not recognized in EmulationStation controller config or Retroarch input config -- after reading snippet it occured to me this is to be expected due to "reverse logic". 

3. There was mention of this issue a few pages back in this thread so i edited `/etc/modprobe.d/mk_arcade_joystick.conf` to flip signs: -43 -> 43 , -42 -> 42  to give me a file like:

options mk_arcade_joystick_rpi map=4 hkmode=1 gpio=4,17,6,5,19,26,16,18,23,24,15,14,-20,43,42,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1

4. After a reboot, L2+R2 buttons are recognized in ES controller config (interestingly, they weren't recognized in Retroarch until i performed another reboot after setting controller config in ES)

5. Success! L2+R2 buttons now correctly configured Smile