Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Neo Geo! Neo Geo X
WOW I just found this today! Don't know if you guys have seen it but SNK is producing the Neo Geo X and its coming out this December! Holy cow! They have pre-order bonuses available on amazon that comes with 20 free AES games!

Main Page
http://neogeox.com/

youtube demo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qeUoS7THok

[Image: 1screenshot5-672x360.jpg]
Hi I'm Ozfer. I own a minecraft server called krull. www.worldofkrull.com
I own my own game with my friends called everember www.eeommo.tk
I am a java programmer, and I am an electronics wizard Cool
I posted about it back in April, when we weren't exactly sure how things will progress. There are two pages of comments there now. All in all, it's disappointing to see it's nothing more than an emulator with the SNK logo on it. They could have at least tried to attract more gamers by releasing special versions of the more recent games, like Metal Slug 6 & 7.
but they said they would probably make more games for it, and based on the Wikipedia page it can handle it! This thing could sell well if they marked it to compete with the 3ds and psvita/put it in walmart and whatever. and its only $200 for the fancy plug in the tv edition with fancy AES controler and like $130? for the system itself, not $800.
(11-02-2012, 05:49 AM)Ozfer Wrote: but they said they would probably make more games for it

Oh? Who said it and where? I haven't been visiting the Neo Geo X webpage, so I might have missed some news or updates. Still, there's that "probably".

Quote:This thing could sell well if they marked it to compete with the 3ds and psvita

That's definitely not going to happen. The competing against 3DS and Vita part, at least. Not that I believe it will sell well, either. The Neo Geo X has very little to offer. It's targeted towards a specific group of gamers. Gamers, who are willing to spend money just because the thing has an SNK logo on it and gamers who love those arcade titles.

How many collections and re-releases or first party Neo Geo titles are there? More than I care to count, that's for sure. Not only that, the whole Neo Geo title line-up can be pirated off the internet in an hour. Emulating Neo Geo on pretty much anything, from computers to handhelds and mobile phones is easy. Easy enough to make some people think twice before they buy a separate device to play those games.

3DS and Vita are trying their hardest to improve and impress. A handheld emulator is neither new, nor impressive. There are dozens of handhelds sold in China that come with every CPS I, CPS II and Neo Geo game, pre-installed.

Neo Geo X is a tough sell all around. The only appealing bundle, with the docking station and the arcade stick, is probably the only one I'd like to have, but it's also expensive. When I buy a Vita, I can sleep well knowing, that a new blockbuster title is already in the works. Same goes for 3DS. When I buy Neo Geo X, I get the games I already own, on a handheld device which might as well be an Xperia Play or a handheld from China.
"Do I need a NEOGEO X Game Card / Cartridge?
No, the twenty games are already pre-loaded onto the NEOGEO X Handheld, but NEOGEO X Game Cards will be available with extra gaming content. More info about this will be announced at a later date."
"What type of memory does the NEOGEO X handheld expandable game card slot take?
It uses specially formatted Neo.Geo X Game Cards. Please check this website for the latest game information."
"What is the plan on allowing customers to play additional NEOGEO games beyond the 20 included?
Please check this website for the latest information. The plan is to release other games that will be exclusive to the NEOGEO X format."

This indicates to me that there will be more games. The fact that it has a 1Ghz cpu and as much ram as the nintendo 3ds indicates it could handle games that are somewhat complex and modern. I don't think they are going to be mass selling it an stores and I don't think it will be highly competing with the ps vita and 3ds and I don't think there will be a ton of games for it. But just saying if it seriously wanted to be successful it would need to be in all walmarts, targets, etc, and compete directly with these other systems. I do plan on buying a neo geo x at least because if not entirely successful it is a piece of SNK and Neo Geo history and if it doesn't sell good it might be rare Wink and if it does sell well it may have some great exclusive games. At like $130 its hard to beat the price even with the other gimmick handhelds that can emulate the AES. It is 1/2 the 3ds price and 1/3 the ps vita price and I think it being at least as powerful as the 3ds gives it a better chance then being the bare minimum to emulate AES games. The fact it has its own cart slot to me means they have some new games lined up but who knows at this point.
(11-02-2012, 12:03 PM)Ozfer Wrote: At like $130 its hard to beat the price even with the other gimmick handhelds that can emulate the AES.

If you're buying this for emulation, you can get similar handhelds for a half of that price. The ones I mentioned earlier can cost as little as $50~$60. And you get built-in video and audio playback in all possible formats. Saw one with a camera and a touch-screen just the other day, and it was less than $60.

Quote:I do plan on buying a neo geo x at least because if not entirely successful it is a piece of SNK and Neo Geo history and if it doesn't sell good it might be rare

That's probably the main reason people will buy it, even though all SNK did was give the OK to make it and from what I understand, wasn't involved in the process.

Back when NGP came out, you didn't really have that many handhelds to choose from. Still, Game Boy alone created enough competition and made SNK question their handheld endeavor. In fact, it wasn't until the PSP that someone managed to take a share of the market away from Nintendo. It's sad, really, especially when you think about platforms like the GP32, which could do so much back then, but even that wasn't enough.

That's why I think the Neo Geo X will be just another handheld emulator, only more expensive. I'm still curious about what other games they might be releasing for it, though.
(11-02-2012, 06:23 PM)Morden Wrote:
(11-02-2012, 12:03 PM)Ozfer Wrote: At like $130 its hard to beat the price even with the other gimmick handhelds that can emulate the AES.

If you're buying this for emulation, you can get similar handhelds for a half of that price. The ones I mentioned earlier can cost as little as $50~$60. And you get built-in video and audio playback in all possible formats. Saw one with a camera and a touch-screen just the other day, and it was less than $60.

Quote:I do plan on buying a neo geo x at least because if not entirely successful it is a piece of SNK and Neo Geo history and if it doesn't sell good it might be rare

That's probably the main reason people will buy it, even though all SNK did was give the OK to make it and from what I understand, wasn't involved in the process.

Back when NGP came out, you didn't really have that many handhelds to choose from. Still, Game Boy alone created enough competition and made SNK question their handheld endeavor. In fact, it wasn't until the PSP that someone managed to take a share of the market away from Nintendo. It's sad, really, especially when you think about platforms like the GP32, which could do so much back then, but even that wasn't enough.

That's why I think the Neo Geo X will be just another handheld emulator, only more expensive. I'm still curious about what other games they might be releasing for it, though.

Actually, the reason I would buy one (not that I will anytime soon) is that they are using the Neo Geo Pocket stick on the handheld. In my opinion, the best handheld game stick/d-pad ever for fighting games.