Freeplaytech Forum

Full Version: Alternate inputs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been hollowing out my GBA shell to make room for my GamePi2 kit. I've not finished, I'm still acquiring a soldering iron and have a few more cuts to make like for the USB charging port. Once I get a test fit done, I want to see how much room I have for additional add-on boards. I plan on soldering on a wifi/bluetooth dongle once I test it. That might mean getting a nano usb hub as well. But ultimately, what I'd like to shove into any remaining space I can find, are alternate analog inputs. That could mean a PSP thumbstick or a stick found on older IBM laptop keyboards. Maybe a BB sized trackball?! Or a 9DOF gyro/accelerometer. Or maybe the holy grail, a touch screen overlay. I plan on cramming as many DOS games on here as possible, and that means I'll probably need some more types of input. A touchscreen would be ideal for things like Sim City or Masters of Orion. A gyro could make FPS or Racing games better. Also, I know a power board was added to some of the original GamePi boards by savy DIYers, but, if I understand correctly, there's no benefit to that mod on the Gamepi2 boards?

Thanks for any advice. This is my first soldering project!