Freeplaytech Forum

Full Version: Start Button Not Working
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey, as the title implies the start button is not working. And I have no clue why.

It doesn't seem to do anything.
That sounds like an odd problem that I have not encountered before.

Did the button work previously at all?

There are two things here that could make it fail. Software and hardware.

Did you change anything with the configuration?

Do you think that it is soldered well? Could you post some photos of the soldering on the pi?

Unfortunately, to edit the configuration I think you need to press the start button.

You might need a keyboard to be able to configure it again.

I will think about this, but I'm traveling and I don't have any great ideas at the moment.
(06-28-2017, 03:27 AM)Flavor Wrote: [ -> ]That sounds like an odd problem that I have not encountered before.

Do you think that it is soldered well? Could you post some photos of the soldering on the pi?

Unfortunately, to edit the configuration I think you need to press the start button.

I will think about this, but I'm traveling and I don't have any great ideas at the moment.

I tested a bit and found out that the contacts of the rubber are off, to the contact point on the board. If I screw the board in lightly pushing it downward (see pic 1) it works, although still a bit unreliable. if I screw it in completely(see pic 2) which happens if I screw on the back of the case. Everything shifts towards its intended centered place and the start button doesn't work anymore.

Pic 1 : http://i.imgur.com/qkt118m.jpg
Pic 2 : http://i.imgur.com/xSWwDIr.jpg

I have no idea what to do with this though...

edit: in the off-centered position, select works really well. And start works, but is unreliable. in the centered position, select works most of the time but does nothing about 1 in 5 times. And start doesn't work at all.
(06-28-2017, 04:27 AM)Yvo Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-28-2017, 03:27 AM)Flavor Wrote: [ -> ]That sounds like an odd problem that I have not encountered before.

I tested a bit and found out that the contacts of the rubber are off, to the contact point on the board. If I screw the board in lightly pushing it downward (see pic 1) it works, although still a bit unreliable. if I screw it in completely(see pic 2) which happens if I screw on the back of the case. Everything shifts towards its intended centered place and the start button doesn't work anymore.

Pic 1 : http://i.imgur.com/qkt118m.jpg
Pic 2 : http://i.imgur.com/xSWwDIr.jpg

I have no idea what to do with this though...

edit: in the off-centered position, select works really well. And start works, but is unreliable. in the centered position, select works most of the time but does nothing about 1 in 5 times. And start doesn't work at all.

Well. I fixed it.

Dunno why, but the contact point were not conducting anymore so I glued a tiny bit of aluminum foil to it. The start and select works now.

My build is now complete, though I am a bit sad, because I burned out the speaker contact point :/. It kept breaking during assembly, re-soldered it about 6 times :/.

And now trying to fix a white screen issue I broke off a pin on the RPi as well.
I love the kit, but I fucked up royally and I'm a bit pissed off with myself at this point. I put all the stuff away, and maybe I can afford a new kit in the future...

Thanks for the help anyways.
Does the speaker work? We could probably get you a replacement speaker if you needed one.

I also have some extra start and select rubber buttons. I could drop one in the mail for you if you wanted.
(06-28-2017, 09:04 PM)Flavor Wrote: [ -> ]Does the speaker work? We could probably get you a replacement speaker if you needed one.

I also have some extra start and select rubber buttons. I could drop one in the mail for you if you wanted.

Nope the speakers contact point on the board is completely busted. The speaker itself is fine.

Start and select works now as well after gluing a tiny bit of aluminum foil to it. But Like I said in my previous post, I broke an RPi pin as well so I can't really try anything anymore. :/

To get the speaker working I'm gonna need a new board. Maybe, with some flux I might be able to fix it, but that's a big maybe. And I'm gonna need a new set of pins for the RPi as well anyways, so untill that time, I can't really do anything.
I am emailing you directly to try to work this out for you.