Freeplaytech Forum

Full Version: Tried change driver now white screen.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I tried the change driver for Zero, to see if it would help with some SNES performance but now only getting a white a white screen. 

Is there something in the config.txt I can fix so I don't have to reflash card. Really don't want to go through transferring content again.
Connect thru ssh
username : pi
password : raspberry

then type:
su
cd /home/pi/Freeplay/freeplayili9341
./dispMenuZero.sh

Select defauft then Ok
after this, type:
reboot

Hope this will help
(01-04-2019, 12:08 AM)Porcinus Wrote: [ -> ]Connect thru ssh
username : pi
password : raspberry

then type:
su
cd /home/pi/Freeplay/freeplayili9341
./dispMenuZero.sh

Select defauft then Ok
after this, type:
reboot

Hope this will help

Unfortunately, while it got me back to the menu, it didn't change anything. Reflashing the SD now.
I actually just ran into this as well.

I'm running the Kickstarter Early Bird Freeplay Zero DIY Kit & a Pi Zero W.

I was originally running the original SD image and decided to update, so I reflashed my SD card with Freeplay_Zero_19011601.

When I went to change the display driver in the RetroPie settings menu, I selected Exp_Zero, the screen turned blue, there were a couple errors I stupidly didn't write down, and the unit shut off.

I powered the unit back up and only a white screen displayed.

I was able to ssh into the unit, so it was booting properly - just nothing was coming up on the display.

I tried running..

Code:
/home/pi/Freeplay/freeplayili9341/dispMenuZero.sh

...but it didn't seem to help the issue.

I ended up just reflashing the SD card and leaving the setting alone Big Grin
Ahh, yes. I may have to get back to you guys on this.

First of all, the new driver is a little hit and miss on the Freeplay Zero. It seems to work quite well/consistent on the Freeplay CM3.

If you're upgrading from an older image, fbcp may run from fbcp.sh (/etc/init.d/fbcp.sh if I recall offhand). If so, there is a fix to add a 6 second wait at bootup before running fbcp, otherwise it can crash at bootup (which would just give you a white screen).

OR, you could look into grabbing the latest from https://github.com/Mootikins/FreeplayILI9341 that sets up a .service file to reload fbcp if it ever crashes.
I've been running into this on my Zero, as well. Coming from a fresh image flash, switching to the experimental driver will get me stuck on the white screen on boot, and I need to re-flash to get back up and running.

Any standard way to fix this, or an easy way to install that service? I'd love to try out the new driver if possible.
Hey johnlago,

Are you using the latest version of the SD card image? Do you have a HDMI TV/monitor that you could plug into?

My guess is that the Freeplay Zero is still working well when you get the white screen, but the LCD just isn't updating. If you hook up HDMI, you would probably be able to switch back.

I've asked Mootikins if he'll try to get new drivers built for FPCM3 and FPZ soon.
Ah, thanks Flavor, hadn't thought to do that!

I don't have the HDMI adapter handy, but if it's known that the FPZ can't reliably boot with that driver, I think I'll just avoid it until there's an update. I'll keep an eye on the forum til then. Smile
Just a little curious update on this: I attempted to pull the most recent driver, but it seems like something in the current image is missing, and the setup script can't find what it needs:

./setupZero.sh
rm: cannot remove '/home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu/dispMenu.sh': No such file or directory
Failed to disable unit: No such file or directory
update-rc.d: error: cannot find a LSB script for fbcp.sh
It just runs an rm to update the script instead of overwriting. If the dispmenu hadn't been installed yet, there would be nothing to remove, so it would get that "rm: cannot remove" warning.

We are looking into building a new version of the driver and updating https://github.com/Mootikins/FreeplayILI9341 I can't really say when that'll be ready, though.
Pages: 1 2