Freeplaytech Forum

Full Version: Pi Zero W 2 feasible for FPZ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I just ordered a Pi Zero W 2, wondering if it could simply be a drop in replacement for a regular Pi Zero on a FPZ? This would be a huge upgrade.
I think it will be.  I expect mine to arrive today, and I will be working on it.

I will likely build a new SD image for the Pi Zero 2 (and maybe it will also work with the CM3).  It would be released under the "SD Image Files" link at

It is compatible.  I just received the Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W and installed it into a Freeplay Zero.  Initial testing seems good.

I have uploaded a test SD Image for people to try.  It is released under the "SD Image Files" link at
https://www.freeplaytech.com/build/
(11-03-2021, 03:17 AM)Flavor Wrote: [ -> ]I think it will be.  I expect mine to arrive today, and I will be working on it.

I will likely build a new SD image for the Pi Zero 2 (and maybe it will also work with the CM3).  It would be released under the "SD Image Files" link at

It is compatible.  I just received the Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W and installed it into a Freeplay Zero.  Initial testing seems good.

I have uploaded a test SD Image for people to try.  It is released under the "SD Image Files" link at
Flavor, my man! Thank you so much! Can't wait to try this out!
(11-03-2021, 07:35 AM)Ordinary Vanity Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-03-2021, 03:17 AM)Flavor Wrote: [ -> ]I think it will be.  I expect mine to arrive today, and I will be working on it.

Flavor, my man! Thank you so much! Can't wait to try this out!

Let us know how it goes!
Oh hell yeah!! Getting mine this friday, most places ive checked are sold out for the most part.
Thanks for this image, zero 2 is now working in my freeplay zero.

Only had a little play so far but I have tried a few different systems and all seem to work so far.

Although sound is working I do get an error message each time an emulator is started - failed to find mixer element.

Keep up the good work
Yeah, I was planning to figure out that "failed to find mixer element" message. I feel like I figured that out years ago, but I don't recall what it was. Anyway, I think the sound is working fine, but the message is annoying. I'll try to get that fixed and release a new image. I'd like to get some more feedback to see if anyone else has issues/suggestions before we do that.
(11-04-2021, 01:53 AM)Flavor Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, I was planning to figure out that "failed to find mixer element" message.  I feel like I figured that out years ago, but I don't recall what it was.  Anyway, I think the sound is working fine, but the message is annoying.  I'll try to get that fixed and release a new image.  I'd like to get some more feedback to see if anyone else has issues/suggestions before we do that.

The header for mine won't be here until Friday. I should have ordered one with the board, but it was kind of an impulse buy because I was afraid they would go out of stock.

I tested just the board last night, and I'm actually pretty amazed by it. I tried some heavier arcade games, like Dodonpachi and Blazing Star, and they played excellent. I also played Castlevania Symphony of the Night and Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 on PS1, and those were both great as well. None of those 4 games played well on the Pi Zero, so the Pi Zero 2 is a big improvement in performance. I also figure the Retropie image for Pi 3 has gotten a lot of optimization over the last couple of years...

I've been working with computers for a really long time, and this kind of performance out of a $15 board the size of my thumb blows my mind a little bit.

Anyhow, when I get the header and solder it on I'll post my experiences.

Thanks,

Harley.
(11-04-2021, 01:53 AM)Flavor Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, I was planning to figure out that "failed to find mixer element" message.  I feel like I figured that out years ago, but I don't recall what it was.  Anyway, I think the sound is working fine, but the message is annoying.  I'll try to get that fixed and release a new image.  I'd like to get some more feedback to see if anyone else has issues/suggestions before we do that.

Any point to maybe a 64-bit image for the zero 2? (Since its 64-bit capable)

(also, any idea when more freeplay zero boards will be in stock?)
(11-04-2021, 06:45 AM)BigCat Wrote: [ -> ]

Any point to maybe a 64-bit image for the zero 2? (Since its 64-bit capable)

(also, any idea when more freeplay zero boards will be in stock?)

As far as I know, there isn't an official 64-bit build of RetroPie.

I did find some links for the Pi4 at https://www.reddit.com/r/SBCGaming/comme...rom_monka/

I might download it and try it, but it's "Pi4" label makes me think it won't work.

Freeplay Zero boards:  Yeah, that's tough to say.  We ran out right before the Zero 2 announcement.  With chip shortage stuff going on, it's almost impossible to just reorder a batch of parts, at the moment.  I think we have some older (earlier version) boards around.  As for making more, it will likely require some redesign.  I can't give a good estimate at the moment.
Pages: 1 2 3 4