Freeplaytech Forum
Connecting to wifi/keyboard issues - Printable Version

+- Freeplaytech Forum (https://forum.freeplaytech.com)
+-- Forum: Freeplay Zero / Freeplay CM3 / Game Pie Advance (https://forum.freeplaytech.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Freeplay Zero/CM3 (AKA GPA) Software (https://forum.freeplaytech.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Connecting to wifi/keyboard issues (/showthread.php?tid=4672)

Pages: 1 2 3

Connecting to wifi/keyboard issues - ABeezy1388 - 09-08-2018

Hey all,

Just built my first CM3 GBA, well kind of... having a few minor issues with the case not 100% closing nicely so need to find the few high spots.

Anyways prior to finishing it off and getting everything 100% set up I am trying out the software side of things and am stumped.

I have a wifi dongle and went into the retro pie setup to connect to my wifi so I can then add roms. Problem is I connected to my wifi and need to enter the password... however there is only one USB drive and the wifi dongle is in it. How do I type in my password? If I pull the dongle out to plug in a keyboard it locks up. Stuck on how to get connected to my wifi.

Other issue is it seems the keyboard does work when I have it plugged in but when I go into the Retroarch settings and need the keyboard its non-responsive there. I wanted to add in my my name and password to connect to retroachivements, but when I click username or password in the Retroarch tab the keyboard doesn't work.

Anyone that can provide some feedback, I'd greatly appreciate it.

RE: Connecting to wifi/keyboard issues - Flavor - 09-08-2018

I don't think I can help with the RetroAchievements piece, because I've never done that. Hopefully someone else can shed a bit of light on that.

I can help with the WiFi. The keyboard trick has worked for me in the past, but that's not the best way to do it.

If you have a USB hub, that can work (plug in keyboard and WiFi at the same time).

Otherwise, there are 2 methods: wifikeyfile.txt and wpa_supplicant.conf
I think wpa_supplicant.conf is better.

See:
https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Wifi#manual-configuration-wpa_supplicant
https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/10251/prepare-sd-card-for-wifi-on-headless-pi
https://forum.freeplaytech.com/showthread.php?tid=4598&pid=6806#pid6806

RE: Connecting to wifi/keyboard issues - ABeezy1388 - 09-08-2018

Sadly I do not have a USB hub Sad 

I found another thing on the retro pie get hub that says you can make a .txt file with the two lines for your SSID and your PASSWORD and add it to the boot drive on the micro SD card but now its telling me my wifi country is not set and I am struggling hard with figuring out how to do that. 

Not the best with command line stuff lol

(09-08-2018, 09:26 AM)ABeezy1388 Wrote: Sadly I do not have a USB hub Sad 

I found another thing on the retro pie get hub that says you can make a .txt file with the two lines for your SSID and your PASSWORD and add it to the boot drive on the micro SD card but now its telling me my wifi country is not set and I am struggling hard with figuring out how to do that. 

You are probably talking about the wifikeyfile.txt method.  It's mentioned in the pages I linked.  It works fine.

Just pop your SD card into your computer and create the file in the root of your 'boot' drive.  It should look like this.  Just make sure that your text editing program keeps the quotes like that.  I had one that kept changing them to fancy quotes, and it wouldn't work.

Code:
ssid="NETWORK_NAME"
psk="NETWORK_PASSWORD"

RE: Connecting to wifi/keyboard issues - ABeezy1388 - 09-08-2018

(09-08-2018, 09:28 AM)Flavor Wrote:
(09-08-2018, 09:26 AM)ABeezy1388 Wrote: Sadly I do not have a USB hub Sad 

You are probably talking about the wifikeyfile.txt method.  It's mentioned in the pages I linked.  It works fine.

Just pop your SD card into your computer and create the file in the root of your 'boot' drive.  It should look like this.  Just make sure that your text editing program keeps the quotes like that.  I had one that kept changing them to fancy quotes, and it wouldn't work.

Code:
ssid="NETWORK_NAME"
psk="NETWORK_PASSWORD"

Thank you I did! But for some reason it keeps telling me that my "country is not set" and directs me to a page where I have to select it but I am not finding it.  Huh Huh

RE: Connecting to wifi/keyboard issues - Sithel - 09-08-2018

Not 100% sure but you might have to SSH in or use a keyboard plugged into your pi to set the country?
Check the wpa_supplicant file to see if your country is set, if not try to add it and save the file.
It's located here

sudo nano /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

If you in the US add..

country=US

You can add that file in the “boot” drive (SD card) on your computer.

RE: Connecting to wifi/keyboard issues - ABeezy1388 - 09-09-2018

(09-08-2018, 10:56 AM)Flavor Wrote: You can add that file in the “boot” drive (SD card) on your computer.

So yesterday I added a new file to the boot drive, which is basically the SD card right? After I install the image on it and it does its thing, I put the SD card back in my computer and its now labeled "boot" so assuming I put the file there?

I created a new text file and named it "wifikeyfile.txt and in that text document it says"

ssid="MyNetwork"

psk="MyPassword"

So now you are saying I can add that file to the boot drive too? Tried finding what it is I add, do you know? I am in the USA, Michigan to be precise. Is this a new text document or part of the wifi file? Sorry... not too educated with some of this stuff...

RE: Connecting to wifi/keyboard issues - Sithel - 09-09-2018

Add/Create wpa_supplicant.conf to the boot drive too and add the line below for country.

country=US

RE: Connecting to wifi/keyboard issues - Flavor - 09-09-2018

I’m on my phone now, so I can’t look up much. Did you read through the three links that I posted earlier?