Freeplaytech Forum
Audio buzzing - Printable Version

+- Freeplaytech Forum (https://forum.freeplaytech.com)
+-- Forum: Freeplay Zero / Freeplay CM3 / Game Pie Advance (https://forum.freeplaytech.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Freeplay Zero/CM3 (AKA GPA) Hardware (https://forum.freeplaytech.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Audio buzzing (/showthread.php?tid=4769)

Audio buzzing - JoeDat - 03-11-2019

Just recently assembled my CM3.  First attempt, so had some challenges with the build, but happy with it for the most part.  I am having an issue with the speaker.  I wouldn't call it white noise.  It's almost a rhythmic buzz or squelch that doesn't start immediately on boot up.  I usually have to start a rom or sometimes even going into the retropie-setup menu causes it to start.  Once it begins, it will keep doing it. When I initiate a shutdown, it will make this noise constantly until it turns off.  Otherwise,   it's not always constant.  There are short pauses in between, with the buzz lasting 2-3 seconds. I can reproduce this with the guts completely removed from the case and not touching each other.  I don't hear it thru headphones.  Kind of at a loss on this.  Any suggestions?

RE: Audio buzzing - Flavor - 03-12-2019

Are you using the latest Freeplay CM3 SD image file?

There sometimes is some noise that seems to have to do with interference that the amplifier chip picks up from the SD card access. Typically, this noise goes away when the system is actively driving the audio lines. That means, that sometimes you will hear it upon bootup until something plays sound and then you won't hear it after that.

What you're describing seems abnormal. How loud/obvious is it? Does it get louder if you turn up the volume wheel?

I don't know if this would help your issue, but one thing some people have had good results with is playing with the mix of software vs hardware volume. What I mean by that is to try turning down the software volume (in the RetroPie menu) and turning up the volume using the hardware volume wheel. Then you can try the opposite to see if higher software and lower hardware volume helps.

RE: Audio buzzing - JoeDat - 03-13-2019

Appreciate the response.  The noise isn't TOO obvious, but enough to be distracting. I can drown it out with jacking up the hardware volume, as there's usually a point where game volume over takes it.  But that's not always a desireable approach.  You do make an interesting point regarding sdcard access.  I am using the latest image.  But, the sound itself does sound sort of like a disk access sound.  I know it's not actual disk access Im hearing, (what disk?? ?), but it has the same kind of cadence and behavior.    Makes me wonder if my card is responsible.  I'll try a different card.  And I'll also try your hw /sw volume idea.  I'll report back.  Thanks!!

RE: Audio buzzing - JoeDat - 03-14-2019

Well, good news.  Lowering the software volume did the trick.  The sound is still there, but barely even noticeable.  I'm convinced you nailed the source being storage access interference.  I've abandoned an attempt to replace the sdcard...just don't think it's worth trying since the noise is all but gone. 

I admittedly saw that as a suggestion for another audio issue, but stubbornly didn't try it.  Thanks again for the support!!

RE: Audio buzzing - Flavor - 03-15-2019

Well, that's great news! Thanks for updating us. I'm glad you got it sorted out!