Freeplaytech Forum
[Solved] Issue with brightness settings? - Printable Version

+- Freeplaytech Forum (https://forum.freeplaytech.com)
+-- Forum: Freeplay Zero / Freeplay CM3 / Game Pie Advance (https://forum.freeplaytech.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Freeplay Zero/CM3 (AKA GPA) Software (https://forum.freeplaytech.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: [Solved] Issue with brightness settings? (/showthread.php?tid=4918)

[Solved] Issue with brightness settings? - kmacmart@darkcloud.ca - 06-17-2019

Hey everyone!

I received a CM3 in the mail last week and figured I'd make sure everything works before building the shell and assembling. I'm running Freeplay_CM3_19060603 and everything I've tested seems to work except for the brightness settings, flashes the adjustment bar with an error below it before returning to the previous screen. The error is the following (I'll attach a photo of the error in case that helps):

/home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu/Freeplay LCD Brightness.sh: line 16: 1078 Terminated /opt/retropie/supplimentary/runcommand/joy2key.py /dev/input/js0 "0x44" "0x43" "0x43" "0x44" "0x20" "0x20"

Assuming this isn't due to a defective brightness controller or something, does anyone know where I should start looking to debug the problem (hardware or software? controller itself, or the joy2key script?)? Has anyone seen this error themselves?

Thanks!

RE: Issue with brightness settings? - Porcinus - 06-17-2019

Is it a GBA shell or a Boxy Pixel shell? If Boxy Pixel, you may need to add some tape ontop of the headers spot near the compute module.

Do you know how to connect thru SSH? If so, can you please post the output of the command : "sudo i2cdetect -y 1"

RE: Issue with brightness settings? - kmacmart@darkcloud.ca - 06-18-2019

(06-17-2019, 05:28 PM)Porcinus Wrote: Is it a GBA shell or a Boxy Pixel shell? If Boxy Pixel, you may need to add some tape ontop of the headers spot near the compute module.

Do you know how to connect thru SSH? If so, can you please post the output of the command : "sudo i2cdetect -y 1"

I haven't actually dropped it into a shell yet-- it's just the board with some conductive button silicon and the screen.

Here's the output for i2cdetect -y 1:

Code:
    0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  a  b  c  d  e  f
00:          03 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
10: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
20: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
30: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
40: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
50: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
60: -- -- 62 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
70: 70 -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Thanks!

RE: Issue with brightness settings? - Porcinus - 06-18-2019

62 and 70 are the Brightness I2C address so the controller should work.

What exactly happen when you move the brightness slider, the utility crashes or the screen brightness stay the same or something else?

(06-18-2019, 02:10 AM)Porcinus Wrote: 62 and 70 are the Brightness I2C address so the controller should work.

What exactly happen when you move the brightness slider, the utility crashes or the screen brightness stay the same or something else?

I can't get as far as being able to move the brightness slider; it loads the screen you're seeing in the screenshot from my first post with the error at the bottom and then returns to the previous menu.

Good to hear this is likely a software issue though! Do you think maybe the June 6th image has a bug in the script?

RE: Issue with brightness settings? - Flavor - 06-18-2019

We will look into this. There was a recent change to this code that should have been minor, but maybe something broke. Sad

RE: Issue with brightness settings? - Mootikins - 06-18-2019

Sorry about the problems Kmac. The easiest way to fix this is to ssh into your CM3 and do the following:

Code:
cd Freeplay/setPCA9633
make setPCA9633interactive

At this point you should be able to leave your ssh session and run the brightness menu item again.

RE: Issue with brightness settings? - Flavor - 06-18-2019

(06-18-2019, 03:34 AM)Mootikins Wrote: Sorry about the problems Kmac. The easiest way to fix this is to ssh into your CM3 and do the following:

Code:
cd Freeplay/setPCA9633

At this point you should be able to leave your ssh session and run the brightness menu item again.

With a keyboard, I think you should be able to boot up, hit F4, and then do those two commands to get it working.

We will also be releasing a new (fixed) SD image file soon (hopefully today).

(06-18-2019, 04:02 AM)Flavor Wrote:
(06-18-2019, 03:34 AM)Mootikins Wrote: Sorry about the problems Kmac. The easiest way to fix this is to ssh into your CM3 and do the following:

Code:
cd Freeplay/setPCA9633

With a keyboard, I think you should be able to boot up, hit F4, and then do those two commands to get it working.

We will also be releasing a new (fixed) SD image file soon (hopefully today).

That worked perfectly, thanks for the quick help and for working on a fixed release!