Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NGPC video output, screen improvement?
I wanted to ask if somebody is working/worked in some kind of video output for the NGPC. I remember seeing pictures of somebody who attached a ribbon cable to were the screen was and getting a TV output.

The other thing is the screen itself, does anybody figured out the ribbon connections? I was looking at those gameboy advance ones that have back light or some other new one that they sell for cheap on ebay. If there was a way to make it work on the NGPC would be great!

Also with the existing front light mod provided by Xian Xi, has someone worked on how to get more or less contrast or color?

I am very limited in my technical skills but I can distinguish components and do soldering. I do have some boards that display pic but not sound. I can collaborate with somebody who knows more about it to do trials or whatever to make it a nice upgrade for the NGPC community.
Thanks.
(03-03-2012, 04:11 AM)gegrago Wrote: I wanted to ask if somebody is working/worked in some kind of video output for the NGPC. I remember seeing pictures of somebody who attached a ribbon cable to were the screen was and getting a TV output.

There's the K2 board, which is NGP's counterpart of Nintendo's Wide Boy, I guess, though the latter one required a console to pass the signal through. K2 outputs composite and S-Video signals directly from the board. Looking at that picture, I'm guessing it can also output RGB.

I've never seen any documentation on NGP's screen or the signals. I've seen a few GameBoy to VGA projects. This is one example. The author couldn't find any documents on GB Pocket, but since GameBoy is really well documented, the original GB docs helped him a whole lot.

There's some stuff at Emu-Docs.

I remember seeing that ribbon cable and some sort of a converter. I think it was on Assembler boards, but I can't find the link. I'm sure someone from here will know, though.
Well thats very nice, didn't know that those boards existed. However, looks complex and factory manufactured. I bet there is a way to convert units to have that capability. I am probably going to say stupid things, but maybe some adaptor from the screen ribbon cable to TV or alike.
Anyway, I just wanted to stimulate all of those thinkers out there to get something going on.
(03-03-2012, 12:25 PM)gegrago Wrote: I am probably going to say stupid things, but maybe some adaptor from the screen ribbon cable to TV or alike.

I can tell you right now that chances for something like that being anything else than a hobby project of a tech savvy NGP nerd are slim. The previously mentioned GB to VGA projects are a good example. On the handheld market, GB is absolutely huge, but the video output conversion projects are nothing more than proof of concept by some skilled hobbyists having fun with FPGA.

If you're eager to play NGP games on a big screen, you could always hook up a PC to your TV and use an emulator. And that's probably what you'll have to do.
Well, I do not think the same. If no flashmasta or linker existed yet, would we had to settle with non? People who love the system proved the contrary. I do agree that maybe is not for everyone but its always good to stimulate innovation and having fun with it. I do agree that it may be terribly difficult, but not impossible. Perhaps the approach on a replacement screen is more doable. Anyone has other comments?
(03-04-2012, 12:49 AM)gegrago Wrote: Well, I do not think the same. If no flashmasta or linker existed yet, would we had to settle with non? People who love the system proved the contrary. I do agree that maybe is not for everyone but its always good to stimulate innovation and having fun with it.

From what I understand, you'd like to see this kind of device manufactured and sold. Let me ask you this: How big is the demand for a flash cartridge if producing it manually is enough to satisfy it? Sure, people have to wait and it takes time, but you get my point. NGP is an obscure piece of hardware and that's all there is to it.

So, while a flash cartridge is pretty high on the demand list, a type of device you're talking about is not. After all, there isn't one for the GameBoy either, and if that's not a popular handheld, I don't know what is. So like I said, the only thing you can hope for is a proof of concept type project, hopefully with detailed documentation so that anyone could make their own board if they feel like it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to sound negative and I love these types of projects. I'd love to see something like this happening, if only to see how it was done.
I understand that the demand is low compared to the GB scene, If I had the know-how I would do it and share it here but I do not. It was just that, to see if someone (commercially or not) is doing something about screen improvement, video out, etc., that may be interesting for the community. Again, maybe the screen improvement is the more doable, because frankly it is really annoying to have a light over while playing.The front light mode is somewhat better but not 100% better. Lets see if someone has other opinion or info.
http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/sho...post525736
Card Fighters' Clash 2 English Translation ( http://cfc2english.blogspot.com/ )
Neo Geo Pocket Flash Cart and Linker Project ( http://www.flashmasta.com/ )
Avatar art thanks to Trev-Mun ( http://trevmun.deviantart.com/ )