Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NGPC Project Manager
Hello there,

A few days ago, taking a look at this forum, I found here a development post where the user shicky256 invite another user to download a compatible version of T900 with modern O.S

For me was a new and awesome notice because I never listen about this version and I always try to develop something for NGPC in a virtual machine with WinXp. This is so hard and uncomfortable because has your IDE configured, software, emulator and other things needed to do it in a virtual machine, well..not is the best (for me).

So, I downloaded this new T900 version and try it on Win10 o.s and works perfectly and at that momment I have a idea, do a ngpc auto configurable development workspace.

This workspace has the next elements
  • The last knowed development framework v4.0 for NGPC made by Dark Fader / BlackThunder (If I'm not wrong)
  • The T900 binaries for the Toshiba T900 chip (by versions)
  • The EmuHawk emulator to throw the compiled games (for me, the best emulator that works perfectly without glitches in sounds and graphics)
  • The NeoTile editor
  • A UI  for wav to c tool
  • Thor NGPConverter (updated in 2016 by Thor) to convert images in .c files for NGPC.
  • project generator (A tool to do new code projects auto configured).
  • An auto compiler for your code projects to run and execute on the fly.

NEW VERSION !! v2.9.9.0

Download here

VERSION NOTES

1. Code improvement
  2. Fix in header file carthdr.h
  3. New 2mb rom resize software made with c# to use in command line with parameters or use throught NGP Project Manger
  4. Environment paths read fix

COMPILATION AND EXECUTION

Click on the terminal section and write compile.bat and press Enter or Intro
For the emulator, I assume that you meant BizHawk? That's what Google turned up, anyway. http://tasvideos.org/BizHawk.html

Their Neo Geo Pocket page (http://tasvideos.org/Bizhawk/NGP.html) says, "Neo-Geo Pocket emulation is done via porting the core from mednafen."

The Mednafen Neo Geo Pocket page (https://mednafen.github.io/documentation/ngp.html) says, "Mednafen's Neo Geo Pocket emulation is based off of NeoPop.
The Neo Geo Pocket (Color) emulation in Mednafen is not very accurate in terms of low-level details; BIOS is HLE'd, CPU instruction timing is totally fubared, and some CPU instructions are likely emulated incorrectly. It's sufficient to play most of the commercially released games fairly well, but if you want to do NGP© homebrew development, you're better off at looking at something like MAME."

I know that Loïc likes NeoPop for its debugger features, so using it directly could be nice for that.

I think that MAME uses the Neo Geo Pocket core from MESS. If I am correct, that core was mainly developed by jdg (Judge is a member here https://forum.freeplaytech.com/member.ph...ile&uid=72) who also did the main emulation work on RACE and MHE. I think his would be the most accurate, but his cores don't get ported like NeoPop does. This is something that should be rectified. NeoPop is very easy to port to other platforms, but it is both inaccurate and slow.

I actually didn't mean to post here to discuss emulation. I started out wondering about "EmuHawk" and then got into all that detail.

I'm super happy that you have taken the time to build out this utility and tutorial for future Neo Geo Pocket homebrew developers, KeiDash. This has been a huge problem for the development community for many years. The lack of proper tools and the barriers of entry for people have kept the new developments to a minimum. I hope this helps to rectify that!
Card Fighters' Clash 2 English Translation ( http://cfc2english.blogspot.com/ )
Neo Geo Pocket Flash Cart and Linker Project ( http://www.flashmasta.com/ )
Avatar art thanks to Trev-Mun ( http://trevmun.deviantart.com/ )
(10-25-2018, 01:48 AM)Flavor Wrote: For the emulator,.............

Hi Flavor,

Thanks for your reply and personal opinion.

Talking about the configured emulator, you are right. The qualities of NeoPop are the Debug mode, something that another emulator doesn't has. Against, has the worst audio emulation. I tryed Mednafen, Race, NeoPop and BizHawk and for me the best are this last one. Run graphics and sounds correctly, in opposition, not has a debug mode.

My idea with this framework is improve it. My next step on it is add an option parameter on NeoGeo Pocket Project Maker to the user will be able change the default emulator and add another one.

I'm happy too, I think that this can help at anyone that want to do a tinny or big game for ngpc.

As SNK was saying, the future is now.

PD: I put here a video uploaded by me on YouTube. In edition mode, this is visible but when I finish and publish the post, the forum display the next:
Code:
[video=youtube]https://youtu.be/loDBw7M4_Qo[/video]
Hello, I am kentosama, I am very interested in the development of games on NeoGeo Pocket.

I am very happy to have found this forum and a recent development kit !

My goal is to create complete games on this machine that I love enormously. I would like to know if it's currently possible to do this with this development kit.

I am more familiar with Mega Drive thanks to excellent SGDK by Stephane Dallongeville, but I am very motivated to master the NeoGeo Pocket and provide many quality games.

Can we expect updates in the future?

Thank you very much for making the development possible on this console.
Hello kentosama - welcome to the forum and welcome to NGPC development.

I haven't experimented with keidash's tools yet, but broadly, yes, everything you need to create fully functioning games is in there. Post here with any specific queries and I'm sure we'll be able to get you running.

There are a few of us tinkering with the C Framework, but (personally) I do this on a project by project basis so not sure whether there will ever be a specific v5. You never know though.
(05-21-2019, 01:20 AM)kentosama Wrote: Hello, I am kentosama, I am very interested in the development of games on NeoGeo Pocket.

I am very happy to have found this forum and a recent development kit !

My goal is to create complete games on this machine that I love enormously. I would like to know if it's currently possible to do this with this development kit.

I am more familiar with Mega Drive thanks to excellent SGDK by Stephane Dallongeville,  but I am very motivated to master the NeoGeo Pocket and provide many quality games.

Can we expect updates in the future?

Thank you very much for making the development possible on this console.

Hi Kentosama. 

Yes, will be updates sure. I'm working in something more strong with the same base.

You will be able to do all as you want but this "framework" (between quotation marks) it's a tool that complain another tools made by me and other scene users. 

This tool it's only a helper for begin and convert some files for your game. All code and game logic must be implemented by you.

My idea it's make a dev plattform with this utilities and some extra like docs or examples, but this never will be something like rpgmaker or unity...
Hello! I'm trying to get into NGPC dev and this is a great resource.

However, I seem to be having trouble getting roms made with this framework to work on real hardware via neo flash masta. First I had to fill in empty space with 0xFF till the ROM was 16MiB to get NeoLinkMasta to flash the file without crashing, and even then I can't seem to get the ROM to actually boot on a real machine. (regular roms work fine).

Any tips/experience with getting homebrew made this way working on hardware?

EDIT: for starters I'm just using the simple 'hello world' included in OP.
(08-11-2019, 12:15 AM)Nnnn Wrote: Hello! I'm trying to get into NGPC dev and this is a great resource.

However, I seem to be having trouble getting roms made with this framework to work on real hardware via neo flash masta. First I had to fill in empty space with 0xFF till the ROM was 16MiB to get NeoLinkMasta to flash the file without crashing, and even then I can't seem to get the ROM to actually boot on a real machine. (regular roms work fine).

Any tips/experience with getting homebrew made this way working on hardware?

EDIT: for starters I'm just using the simple 'hello world' included in OP.

Hi,

for the flashmasta part, your rom size must be either 4, 8, 16 or 32 Mbits.
Did you used KeiDash framework ? did you tried to compile some of the given examples then to flash them ?
One possible issue is that the watchdog timer isn't reset in the VBLank function, but he framework should take care of this part.

If you can't manage to find the issue, maybe you should post your sources here.

Loïc
Thanks for the reply Loïc!

Good to know that you can use any of those file sizes! I assumed it was set at 16/32.

I did use KeiDash framework. I tried flashing the precompiled ngp files in the Examples folder, and some of them did work without issue. Others just booted to BIOS. I tried to compile some of them, but looking at the makefiles it seems many of them require java...? So I also tried downloading ngcollector, and was able to compile this one and get it running in an emulator. However, after flashing to a real machine, it would boot to a blank white screen. (the hello world included in OP also goes to BIOS, no white screen.)

As for the source, I am just using the helloworld from OP.

Sorry for the trouble, but thank you for your help.
Apologies for the double post, but after searching for source code + build that works on hardware, I got it working so I thought I'd share my results.

(I used shicky256's krezrobo as an example -- the source both builds effortlessly and there's a download of the ROM that works with flashmasta. Thanks!!)

The solution was simpler than I expected -- the framework works fine, but when filling up the ROM with empty space, bytes of 0xFF (like I see on most official SNK roms, and what people said to use elsewhere?) seemed to boot to BIOS, but bytes of 0x00 let the game boot properly.

Not sure if this would lead to errors with other methods of flashing the ROM than neo flash masta, but this seems to work for now.