Retropie configuration and adding games
Hey folks,

So I'm nearing the end of my build (I think I might not suck at this!) and wanted to add some games to my cm3.

I did the same steps as the bench test (connected the screen and battery, plugged into power, turned in) and it boots into a Retropie configuration screen.

So, I plug my usb stick in and nothing happens. No flashing light for the transfer of games (I have all the roms in their respective sub folders in the retropie folder), so I left it alone for 10 minutes, thinking that maybe it was transferring without obvious indication.

Nope, nothing.

So, I figured I'd go straight to the source: I pulled the SD card out, put it into my reader, and connected it to my PC to transfer directly.

But there are no sub folders for roms on the SD card.

So, yeah. Anyone have any ideas? Can I add the folders? Help?
The good way to go is via USB, dont't put anything on the SD Card Boot partion.
But for me the "simpliest" way to go is via Samba (Windows Share), you can enable it in the Retropie Configuration script but this method require a WiFi connection.

For the USB method, you need to follow exactly provided here (https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Set...rring-Roms), don't create other folder than 'retropie', for some reason if you add 'roms' and systems folder, sometime Retropie fail (occurs to me in the past)

Hope this will help Smile
That might explain it. I have rom folders from another build in there. I'll try pulling those out and starting fresh.
No luck there chief.

I thought i figured it out: The USB stick i was using was formated to NTSF instead of FAT32. I picked up another Sandisk 32gig and formatted it for FAT32, created the retropie folder (no capitalization) and have had it plugged into my FreeplayCM3 a few times now. The light on the stick flashes, won't ever stop flashing, but whenever i remove it, there are no system folders added into the retropie folder.

Any thoughts?
The Retropie USB copy method has a huge disadvantage, you never really know what the system is really doing :/

Did you plug and unplug the USB stick when the Freeplay CM3 was running ?
If so, try to plug it before starting the device, once started leave the stick blink for 5min then shutdown the system and check if it did something.

If it doesn't work, I have no other idea for the USB stick method.

If you what to try copy via WiFi, you need to create a file named 'wpa_supplicant.conf' into SD card 'boot' partition that contening:

Code:
ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1
country=US
# RETROPIE CONFIG START
network={
    ssid="YOUR WIFI SSID"
    psk="YOUR WIFI PASSWORD"
}
# RETROPIE CONFIG END

Just edit "YOUR WIFI SSID" and "YOUR WIFI PASSWORD" but leaving the quotes.
When the device is starting, it should replace the file in your system and you may be able to connect to your network.
To check that go to the Retropie on the main screen then on the bottom run WiFi, if it worked the script will give you your network IP. At this point it may ask you about setting your country for wireless regulation.
I'll try the wifi thing when I get home. The small town I'm working in doesn't have a place that would sell wifi adaptors.

I'm going to reformat and burn the cm3 image tomorrow and start from scratch and see if that makes a difference, assuming I have time.

What's getting me is that the light on the flash drive flashes forever, so I know it's doing something.
(02-15-2019, 02:35 PM)Porcinus Wrote: The Retropie USB copy method has a huge disadvantage, you never really know what the system is really doing :/

Did you plug and unplug the USB stick when the Freeplay CM3 was running ?
If so, try to plug it before starting the device, once started leave the stick blink for 5min then shutdown the system and check if it did something.

If it doesn't work, I have no other idea for the USB stick method.

If you what to try copy via WiFi, you need to create a file named 'wpa_supplicant.conf' into SD card 'boot' partition that contening:

Code:
ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1
country=US
# RETROPIE CONFIG START
network={
    ssid="YOUR WIFI SSID"
    psk="YOUR WIFI PASSWORD"
}
# RETROPIE CONFIG END

Just edit "YOUR WIFI SSID" and "YOUR WIFI PASSWORD" but leaving the quotes.
When the device is starting, it should replace the file in your system and you may be able to connect to your network.
To check that go to the Retropie on the main screen then on the bottom run WiFi, if it worked the script will give you your network IP. At this point it may ask you about setting your country for wireless regulation.

So, i'm not home yet, but i gave a bit of a try to messing around with the file manager built into the retropie system. Figured i'd try to manually move the games.

I'm not a linux guy, so i'm trying to figure my way around it, but i did read that the USB drive should be visible in /meda/usb, and it's not. The USB doesn't exist, per the Pie.

Odd right?
Yes it is, '/media' should have 'usb0' to 'usb7' folder (it is this in my system) and 'usb' symlink.

Will in main screen, can you try to connect a USB keyboard and use arrows to check if the USB port is working.