[RELEASE] Recalbox 6.1
Hi,

After a lot of work, i'm finally able to release a first version of recalbox 6.1 for the freeplay cm3 device. The freeplay cm3 device is probably the fastest open source handheld device, using the power of a raspberry 3 (in a compute model 3 form factor) for fantastic emulation power (this sentence is not sponsored Smile). I do love it.

First, i need to say a big, big thanks to the "freeplaytech guy". This would have not be possible without his support. I'd also like to thanks the "boxypixel guy" for his work and investment on the Freeplay shells, if you build a Freeplay device, you should take a look at those cases. I will also thanks the recalbox team for all the work involved in recalbox.

Now, here is a few information about this release:
  • There is no know bugs, including working video snaps. It was not intensively tested thought.
  • The installation procedure is the same as vanilla recalbox.
  • There is a custom step when booting the device for the first time: you must power-on the device for at least 10 seconds, then release the power switch (the green light won't light at all during this process). This is because custom boot stuff is being copied to the boot partition, and while on vanilla rpi devices it should reboot itself, this is not possible on the Freeplay.
  • The second boot will take some time (as on vanilla recalbox), as stuff are being setup.
  • The release use fbcp-ili9341 for rendering to the framebuffer, and target the (default) cropped screen size. Full-screen mod is not handled right now, but will come in the future.

And the fun part: https://github.com/Cpasjuste/recalbox/releases
Hi,
I am out of SD cards but once a new one received, I will try out Wink
This is awesome! 
Been struggling to get a video splash screen and running emulation on pixel perfect with Retropie.

Although Recalbox comes with its own set of problems:
  • My WiFi dongle doesn't seem to be recognized even though its on the compatibility list.
  • And I have a boxypixel shell and can't figure out where to go adjust fbcp-ili9341 into 'boxypixel cropped'
It's very good, I would say performance on n64 is better on Recalbox than Retropie.
(11-07-2019, 11:15 PM)cpasjuste Wrote: Hi,

After a lot of work, i'm finally able to release a first version of recalbox 6.1 for the freeplay cm3 device. The freeplay cm3 device is probably the fastest open source handheld device, using the power of a raspberry 3 (in a compute model 3 form factor) for fantastic emulation power (this sentence is not sponsored Smile). I do love it.

First, i need to say a big, big thanks to the "freeplaytech guy". This would have not be possible without his support. I'd also like to thanks the "boxypixel guy" for his work and investment on the Freeplay shells, if you build a Freeplay device, you should take a look at those cases. I will also thanks the recalbox team for all the work involved in recalbox.

Now, here is a few information about this release:
  • There is no know bugs, including working video snaps. It was not intensively tested thought.
  • The installation procedure is the same as vanilla recalbox.
  • There is a custom step when booting the device for the first time: you must power-on the device for at least 10 seconds, then release the power switch (the green light won't light at all during this process). This is because custom boot stuff is being copied to the boot partition, and while on vanilla rpi devices it should reboot itself, this is not possible on the Freeplay.
  • The second boot will take some time (as on vanilla recalbox), as stuff are being setup.
  • The release use fbcp-ili9341 for rendering to the framebuffer, and target the (default) cropped screen size. Full-screen mod is not handled right now, but will come in the future.

And the fun part: https://github.com/Cpasjuste/recalbox/releases

good evening, I am writing from Argentina, first of all thank you very much for your effort in this version, my query is as follows, I have this version installed in my bartop, and I want to make the L2 and R2 buttons work in my gpio, but I cannot make they work, I need this configuration is it possible?

#this next line is for use with 4 extra buttons (maybe L2, R2, C, Z)
options mk_arcade_joystick_rpi map = 4 gpio = 4,17,27,22,10,9,25,24,23,18,15,14,2,19,26, -1, -1 hkmode = 2

I have also tried replacing the mk_arcade_joystick_rpi.ko file with mk_arcade_joystick_freeplay.ko and also with the mk_arcade_joystick_rpi.ko from THEFLAV but it has not worked.

To be clearer, the only thing I need is to add L2 and R2 to the driver with that GPIO configuration.

thank you very much in advance
A word of caution, don't update from within Recalbox 6.1 using the updater as, for me anyway, the system won't boot after updating. I. gets stuck on a dialog box describing the update which you can never advance beyond. Its still good, but it would be even better if we could update as the update includes a Retroarch upgrade.
Hi cpasjuste,

Do you plan to adapt a version 7 (7.01) of Recalbox on CM3?

Looking forward to your response, thank you for your great work !!!