Black/Red FPZ and 3D Printed Cartridge Blank
I haven't seen a black and red FPZ or CM3 build yet, so I thought I would share in case anyone was curious how the colors looked.

I backed the Kickstarter, but the shell and buttons were from Retromodding.com. I am currently using a Raspberry Pi Zero W.

I have done the following mods to mine:

-Magnetic Micro USB Charging Cable. I find these indispensable for all my electronics. I have 2 cats, and they are both lovable butt heads. They love nothing more than tugging on cables and knocking things off tables. All it took was 1 broken charge port on a previous phone and I converted everything to these handy cables.

-Heatsink. I like to take the "better safe than sorry" approach to the heat. I'm also considering overclocking the Zero. I posted about this heatsink before. Fortunately, I had a 14mm x 14mm x 5mm heatsink handy. It is the same size as the one that Ed Mandy sells on the Freeplaytech.com website. His says its 6mm, but it has thicker thermal tape on it than mine.

-3D printed Cartridge Blank with ventilation holes. It slides in and snaps into place one end at a time. It covers all the extra ports that I will rarely use while providing a small bit of protection from small objects falling into the slot.  It took me about 10 minutes to draw up in TinkerCAD and I exported it to my 3D printer. After a couple prototypes to adjust the clips, I finalized the design. It takes approximately 30 minutes to print.

If there is enough interest, I will post the .stl file of the Cartridge Blank to Thingiverse for people to download and print themselves.

I apologize for my dirty fingers in the pics. I took these pics immediately after assembly.

Heatsink Mounting:

[Image: Vu5G8lMh.jpg]
[Image: umWzLb8h.jpg]

Finished Build:

[Image: FnI4kpQh.jpg]
[Image: EF4NeSMh.jpg]
[Image: qCX5z0nh.jpg]
[Image: EZ0xrtrh.jpg]
[Image: FYKcnwSh.jpg]

3D Printed Cartridge Blank/Port Cover:

[Image: zkfPAOoh.jpg]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Messages In This Thread
Black/Red FPZ and 3D Printed Cartridge Blank - by CaptNumbNutz - 11-27-2017, 09:49 PM