Built rebuilding my old GBA with centered display
When I cut out the entire display area on my CM3, I used an X-Acto to cut away the extra area, and even did a test with another shell where I used a laser cutter to cut away the same area. The laser cutter is obviously a lot easier, but is also much more limited since most people don't have them. If you decide to use an X-Acto, I recommend looking at the display's placement before the cuts to figure out what needs to be cut away (the pixel trim can be found in /boot somewhere, and with a calculator you can get the exact amount that needs to be cut from the top, bottom and the sides.

For getting the correct aspect ratio, TheFlav already gave you a good start, but I personally would recommend doing each setting on a per-emulator basis. Open a game, go to the RetroArch menu (should be hotkey + X I believe) then go to the main menu by pressing B, go down to Settings, Video, and under aspect ratio go to core provided. This will guarantee that it is the original aspect ratio of the console, and I believe even accounts for per-game resolutions such as the variable resolution that was present in SNES titles. If you go to custom, you can turn integer scaling on and get pixel-perfect scaling so long as you change your HDMI resolution in /boot/config.txt to 640x480 by setting the hdmi_mode=2.

Matthew

Messages In This Thread
RE: Built rebuilding my old GBA with centered display - by Mootikins - 07-31-2018, 04:56 AM