Using splash screens on boot up
What driver are you running?
Also helps to know what hardware you're running. Zero? CM3? I assume CM3, running one of the Experimental drivers.

And also- when it "locks up", have you tried plugging in via the HDMI-out to see that it's truly locked up?
If the screen is solid white when booting up and trying to play your video splash, and the HDMI still shows a picture- there is a reason this is happening, but I can't seem to find the fix.

Reason:

If you're running one of the Experimental drivers on the CM3, they do not play well with OMX, which is what is used for a video splash.
As soon as the video is called up in the boot process, the video- your .mp4- will crash the driver, and present a constant white screen.
Meanwhile, HDMI output is still active, and you can hook up to a TV to change either back to "Default" driver, or go back to a normal splash picture.
Picture splash screens work fine. Video splash screens crash the Experimental drivers.
However, Video splash screens work just fine under the "Default" driver. I just set mine up on my FreePlay Zero running "Default" LCD driver, no problems.
If you're having issues running a video splash under the "Default" driver- then it is likely an issue with the video you're trying to use, or you may just need to revert to a clean install.

All of this is of course assuming you're on a CM3, and running any of the drivers besides the "Default" one.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Using splash screens on boot up - by luisito - 07-21-2019, 09:50 PM
RE: Using splash screens on boot up - by Slow Catalyst - 07-22-2019, 05:10 AM
RE: Using splash screens on boot up - by Porcinus - 07-22-2019, 05:06 PM