Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flash Update
Flavor,

With all your "free time" now, how about you start on this project. I'd LOVE to see a wonderswan cart, it would make me want to translate wonderswan titles.
So, any updates on this? I thought that maybe Krikzz would pick up the WonderSwan, once he runs out of platforms to make flash devices for, but no. No love for the wondrous WonderSwan.
(11-18-2013, 01:15 AM)Morden Wrote: So, any updates on this? I thought that maybe Krikzz would pick up the WonderSwan, once he runs out of platforms to make flash devices for, but no. No love for the wondrous WonderSwan.

I asked Krikzz awhile back about a Gameboy or Wonderswan unit and he said no, as the demand wouldn't be high enough, or there were already decent units out there to use (EMS 64m).

I'd like to see one soon though. I think our pal favor is busy with his android apps.
(11-30-2013, 02:30 PM)wyndcrosser Wrote: he said no, as the demand wouldn't be high enough, or there were already decent units out there to use (EMS 64m).

I can agree as far as the WonderSwan is concerned, but a GameBoy cartridge would still sell. The EMS cartridge isn't that great and other alternatives are really expensive, not to mention most of them are sold out. Here's what's out there:

Code:
Cartridge      |  Size   |   Price   |   Save Type    | Available
------------------------------------------------------------------
EMS            | 32 & 64 |    40$    | Battery Backed |    Yes
Drag'n'Derp    |  24 Mb  |   100$    |      FRAM      |    Yes
Bleep Bloop    |  16 Mb  | 80$ ~ 90$ | Battery Backed |     No
Infinity       |  16 Mb  | 80$ ~ 90$ |      FRAM      |     No
Fightercart    |  16 Mb  |    45$    | Battery Backed |     No
MBC5 Cartridge |  16 Mb  |    40$    | Battery Backed |     No
Smartboy       |  32 Mb  |    80$    | Battery Backed |     No

I don't know much about the Fightercart other than it was made and sold by ASM Retro. The Bleep Bloop cartridges have been sold out for ages, and same goes for infinity.

Drag'n'Derp is the most recent one, but it's also $100 for 24 Mb plus shipping. Some of the cartridges on the list require a separate linker, like the first Bleep Bloop and Smartboy. So yea, there were more than a few occasions to get a GameBoy flash cartridge, but none of them really made it for me.

There's always a compromise. If the design is reliable, the size doesn't cut it. If the size is there, the design is crap and in case of the EMS 64, it's two 32 Mb banks. As far as I know, only one game goes beyond 32 Mb, but still, I'd like a MicroSD cartridge with a reliable design. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Krikzz made a Game Gear cartridge and I can't imagine the demand being higher than the demand for a MicroSD GB cartridge. As for the WonderSwan, if people are making flash devices for Virtual Boy, it's beyond me why BanDai's handheld isn't getting one.

P.S. - MBC5 cartridge had several hardware revisions, and the Fightercart was one of them, though it was released under a separate name. All were only 16 megabit, though.
Actually EMS is great if you use Motzilla's firmware.
(01-04-2014, 03:57 AM)wyndcrosser Wrote: Actually EMS is great if you use Motzilla's firmware.

I do use it. Still, my biggest beef with the unit was always the fact that it was 2x32Mb, and not 64Mb. I've experienced some compatibility issues as well [firmware version does not remedy any of them]. Issues I haven't observed when using a Smartboy, for instance. Anyway, it's an OK product, especially for that price, but it's just not all one could hope for. You would think that by 2014 something better would come along. Instead, we get 24Mb for $100, plus shipping.
ED!!! any progress on a wonderswan flash cart?
Interesting news, thanks for keeping up updated.
(04-04-2014, 08:39 AM)wyndcrosser Wrote: ED!!! any progress on a wonderswan flash cart?

It's getting close!!!
Card Fighters' Clash 2 English Translation ( http://cfc2english.blogspot.com/ )
Neo Geo Pocket Flash Cart and Linker Project ( http://www.flashmasta.com/ )
Avatar art thanks to Trev-Mun ( http://trevmun.deviantart.com/ )
I just recently picked up a Wonderswan color Smile would definitely pick up a flash cart when they are released Smile