Heatsink
Photo 
I can confirm with the latest Freeplay Zero v1.0 boards, there is approximately 7-8mm clearance between the top of the Pi Zero CPU to the FPZ mainboard once it is mounted. However, you do not want to get that close with any heatsink you choose.

The inductor Sam mentions above is several mm to the side of where the CPU mounts and will not interfere on a Pi Zero W unless you use an abnormally large heatsink. I don't know if this changed from older versions of the board, but my Freeplay Zero v1.0 that I purchased from the Kickstarter campaign in June this year did not have anything in the way.

Please note, I am using a Raspberry Pi Zero W. If you use the original Raspberry Pi Zero, the CPU is mounted a few mm to the right, and you may hit the SMD component or the inductor (at the very least come very close). If you use one of the other Pi Zero models, you can cut or grind away part of the heatsink or simply mount it slightly off center to gain the clearance you need.
Here's a good picture showing the difference in the Pi Zero models. The Zero W is the left most one. Notice on the Zero W the CPU is closer to the HDMI port and on the other Zero models the CPU is closer to the micro USB ports.

The Pi Zero doesn't need too much cooling. However, if you overclock, like to play for hours on end, are concerned about the cramped quarters, or just believe that its better to be safe than sorry, then I recommend getting a heatsink no larger than 6mm tall (height including thermal tape). Most of the ones sold for Raspberry Pi's or included with Pi cases are this size. Some vary in length and width, but larger ones may require you to cut or grind away material.

The one I have is a generic 14mm x 14mm x 5mm heatsink. It is exactly the same as the ones Ed Mandy (Flavor) sells on the freeplaytech.com website and work well on both the CM3 and FPZ. 

Top down view: Plenty of clearance. You can also barely see the inductor about 5mm to the right of the heatsink. The lighting was poor in this shot. If you go larger than 6mm tall, you may hit the surface mounted component next to the inductor.

[Image: Vu5G8lMh.jpg]

Side view: Notice the slope from mounting. This non-parallel mounting of the Pi Zero is inherent to the design of the FPZ. This will leave you with less clearance in the back than the front. Here you can see the inductor clear as day with the heatsink in the background.

[Image: umWzLb8h.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
Heatsink - by automiketic - 07-08-2017, 09:42 AM
RE: Heatsink - by Flavor - 07-08-2017, 02:09 PM
RE: Heatsink - by sam - 07-09-2017, 12:26 AM
RE: Heatsink - by CaptNumbNutz - 11-23-2017, 12:49 PM