freeplay with lakka
progress! With everything compiled and installed (minus the scripts, because I'm not going to use emulationstation and I don't know how much they use/depend on emulationstation.

On bootup, the screen goes black. So there's some communication, but nothing else. No text. Nothing mirror'd

If I can at least get cmatrix to show on the display, then I'd call it a success. That's my benchmark. Smile
so the fbcp is not refreshing the screen?

Code:
pi@freeplay:~ $ /etc/init.d/fbcp.sh
Usage: /etc/init.d/Freeplay-fbcp {start|stop|status|restart|reload|force-reload}
pi@freeplay:~ $ /etc/init.d/fbcp.sh restart
[....] Restarting fbcp.sh (via systemctl): fbcp.serviceFailed to restart fbcp.service: The name org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1 was not provided by any .service files
See system logs and 'systemctl status fbcp.service' for details.
failed!
pi@freeplay:~ $ sudo nano /etc/init.d/fbcp.sh
pi@freeplay:~ $ /etc/init.d/fbcp.sh force-reload
[....] Reloading fbcp.sh configuration (via systemctl): fbcp.serviceFailed to try-reload-or-restart fbcp.service: The name org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1 was not provided by any .service files
See system logs and 'systemctl status fbcp.service' for details.
failed!
pi@freeplay:~ $ systemctl status fbcp.service
● fbcp.service - LSB: Framebuffer copy daemon fb0->fb1
  Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/fbcp.sh; generated; vendor preset: enabled)
  Active: active (exited) since Tue 2018-03-06 21:42:59 CET; 3min 28s ago
    Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
 Process: 218 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/fbcp.sh start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCES
  CGroup: /system.slice/fbcp.service

Mär 06 21:42:57 freeplay systemd[1]: Starting LSB: Framebuffer copy daemon fb0->
Mär 06 21:42:59 freeplay systemd[1]: Started LSB: Framebuffer copy daemon fb0->f
Mär 06 21:42:59 freeplay Freeplay-fbcp[261]: Freeplay-fbcp: Primary display is 1

if I run

Code:
sudo service fbcp restart

then the boot text and command prompt show up properly.

[Image: DXoiMSHWkAAtvVe.jpg]

little convoluted to get cmatrix working ... but it is working.  Now if only I can get retroarch to compile successfully ...
NICE WORK!

I'm sorry that I haven't been more helpful with all of this. I really haven't had much time to spend on software stuff recently.

Keep us updated! If you get a working SD image, I'm guessing others would like to try it.
Card Fighters' Clash 2 English Translation ( http://cfc2english.blogspot.com/ )
Neo Geo Pocket Flash Cart and Linker Project ( http://www.flashmasta.com/ )
Avatar art thanks to Trev-Mun ( http://trevmun.deviantart.com/ )
it's understandable, no worries. But this is just all raspbian. Right now I'm basically just trying to recreate your retropie install, without emulationstation.

So far I'm still struggling getting retroarch to install ... but from what I gather, if I can get it installed and I can convert raspbian into a readonly image. It probably won't boot as fast as lakka, but could be the next best thing
okay, so adding the

Code:
sudo service fbcp restart

into /etc/rc.local is needed to get the screen to show on its own.  

I just tried running the fpstartup.py script, and the gpio buttons registered, but the script failed at the audiotest, because omxplayer wasn't installed.  

Then audio worked, but I have a few issues to work out since the case is too tight on the volume control.  But then it crashed on USB test.

Code:
USB Port Test:
Press button "a"
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "fpstartup.py", line 275, in <module>
   import glib
ImportError: No module named glib

installing libglib2.0 didn't seem to fix the problem. It's still not finding a module named glib.

askubuntu recommends installing libgtk2.0-dev, but I don't like the idea of install x11proto packages at the same time ...

Edit: libgtk didn't do anything. Still crashing on USB test, unable to find glib.
jstest works ... I guess that means I'm basically done anyway. All that's left is to get retroarch installed ...
now it's just a matter of following the compiling instructions on https://github.com/libretro/docs/blob/ma...and-bsd.md

Code:
sudo apt update
sudo apt-get -y install build-essential libxkbcommon-dev zlib1g-dev libfreetype6-dev libegl1-mesa-dev libgles2-mesa-dev libgbm-dev libavcodec-dev libsdl2-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libxml2-dev yasm

mkdir ~/retroarch
cd retroarch

git clone git://github.com/libretro/libretro-super.git
cd libretro-super
SHALLOW_CLONE=1 ./libretro-fetch.sh

unfortunately that seems to be taking EVERYTHING:

Code:
snes9x2002
snex9x2005
snes9x2010
snex9x
bsnes_accuracy
bsnes_balanced
bsnes_performance
bsnes_cplusplus98
bsnes_mercury_accuracy
bsnes_mercury_balanced
bsnes_mercury_performance
mednafen_snes
reicast
redream
genesis_plus_gx
picodrive
blastem
fbalpha
fbalpha2012
fbalpha2012_cps1
fbalpha2012_cps2
fbalpha2012_neogeo
vba_next
vbam
gbsp
meteor
mgba
mednafen_gba
tempgba
fceumm
nestopia
quicknes
bnes
desmume
desmume2015
melonds
citracitra_canary
gambatte
sameboy
tgbdual
stella
vice_x64
vice_x128
vice_xvic
vice_xplus4
mednafen_psx
pcsx_rearmed
pcsx1
rustation
bluemsx
fmsx
fsuae
puae
mednafen_saturn
yabuse
mednafen_lynx
handy
mednafen_ngp
mednafen_pce_fast
mednafen_supergrafx
mednafen_pcfx
mednafen_wswan
mednafen_vb
virtualjaguar
basilisk2
dosbox
pcem
mame2000
mame2003
mame2010
mame2014
mame2016
mame
mupen64plus
parallel_n64
dolphin
pokemini
gw
ppsspp
prosystem
o2em
4do
fuse
nekop2
np2kai
px68k
hitari
emux
lutro
uzem
vecx
ffmpeg
remotejoy
easyrpg
tyrquake
prboom
xrick
openlara
nxengine
craft
mrboom
dinothawr
3dengine
stonesoup
scummvm
chailove
atari1800
thepowdertoy
video_processor
gme
pocketcdg
crocods
cap32

All that takes up 8,3GB.  I'm just going to say I have no idea what I'm doing.  So I went to retroarch-build.sh and commented out all the cores I don't want to build (basically, all non gameboy, gba, nes codes), commented out "empty" if statements and made empty functions return 0, so that the shell script would run.  Then I moved the commented out cores to a folder to delete (in order to save 5GB):

Code:
mkdir ./delete
mv -t ./delete libretro-ppsspp libretro-mame libretro-mame2016 libretro-mame2014 libretro-stonesoup libretro-scummvm libretro-mame2010 libretro-mame2003 libretro-fbalpha libretro-desmume libretro-mupen64plus libretro-fuse libretro-bluemsx libretro-hatari libretro-2048 libretro-yabause libretro-gw libretro-mednafen_psx libretro-prboom libretro-3dengine libretro-bsnes_accuracy libretro-bsnes_balanced libretro-bsnes_mercury_accuracy libretro-bsnes_mercury_balanced libretro-bsnes_mercury_performance libretro-bsnes_performance libretro-gme libretro-desmume2015 libretro-virtualjaguar libretro-fbalpha2012_neogeo libretro-picodrive libretro-tyrquake libretro-mednafen_pcfx libretro-fbalpha2012_cps2 libretro-mednafen_supergrafx libretro-fbalpha2012_cps1 libretro-mednafen_pce_fast libretro-dosbox libretro-mednafen_snes libretro-pcsx1 libretro-stella libretro-snes9x2002 libretro-bsnes_cplusplus98 libretro-snes9x2010 libretro-fmsx libretro-snes9x2005 libretro-4do libretro-emux libretro-mednafen_ngp libretro-mednafen_lynx libretro-mednafen_vb libretro-handy libretro-mednafen_wswan libretro-prosystem libretro-vecx
rm -rf ./delete
./retroarch-build.sh
so this will now be my Saturday as I wait for retroarch to compile.
so compiling libretro cores failed? but was also apparently successful.

Code:
14 core(s) successfully processed: fceumm gamebatte nestopia nxengine quicknes vba_next mgba lutro tybdual 02em vbam meteor dinothawr bnes
5 core(s) failed: mednafen_gba gpsp ffmpeg testgl test
TIL retroarch is in apt. I tried apt installing the following packages:

retroarch retroarch-assets libretro-gambatte libretro-mgba libretro-nestopia

but now when I run retroarch I get an "illegal operation" error.

My compiled retroarch is still throwing up errors. Maybe I need to install x11?

Code:
[INFO] [Video]: Graphics driver did not initialize an input driver. Attempting to pick a suitable driver.
[ERROR] Currently active window is not an X11 window. Cannot use this driver.
[ERROR] [Video]: Cannot initialize input driver. Exiting ...
[ERROR] Fatal error received in: "video_driver_init_input()"
[ERROR] This core requires a content file, could not load content.
today I tried recompiling retroarch from libretro-super

./configure --enable-neon --enable-floathard --enable-opengles --enable-dispmanx --disable-ffmpeg --disable-x11

which gets rid of the x11 window error, but now I just get the "illegal operation" in both the apt and source compiled version ... maybe I need to start over?