Freeplay Emulationstation Theme Preview
(06-07-2018, 03:12 AM)RxBrad Wrote:
(06-07-2018, 02:46 AM)Mootikins Wrote: The theme looks good Brad, though I am unsure how to get the menu to display in that pseudo round kind of way, mine is still straight. Also, it looks like the last game entry in each system has its name cut off some.

To get the rounded look on the carousel, you actually have to go into Retropie Setup, and install emulationstation-dev under the experimental packages (which takes awhile to compile & install).  Not totally necessary for the theme, but it makes it look better.  I assume the next v4.5 of Retropie should have the horizontal-wheel animation baked in (if I recall correctly, I think it was actually supposed to be in 4.4, but there was a bug that prevented it from displaying correctly).

Hmmm.... I'm scratching my head on the text getting cut off.  It looks okay on my Freeplay Zero, and I've also tested it out at 128x128, 320x240, 640x480, 1024x768, 720p, and 1080p resolutions.  

Is this on the onboard Freeplay LCD, or through HDMI?  Also, are you perhaps running at a custom resolution (if so, which one)? Also, which view are you seeing the text cut off (gamelist without any scraped metadata, gamelist with videos, gamelist with art & no videos -- or probably all three if you're seeing this)?  Thanks...

This is on both, but my roms are not scraped, so it has something to do with the non-scraped images. I am running at the native 320x240 without the overscan, but I don't see how that would make a difference.
EmulationStation theming works in percentages of screen height/width. While you'd think that would mean that stuff should look the same on any resolution, it ends up doing stuff like weird text wrapping and cut-off text at some screen resolutions and not others.

I'll see if I can test some different resolutions / different versions of ES to try and reproduce this and tweak the theme to not clip the last item on the list.

Hey, @Flavor...  Is the display resolution technically a custom non-320x240 resolution for overscan vs. non-overscan? That might explain it... [EDIT: Nevermind, looks like we figured it out. Carry on. Smile ]
(06-07-2018, 04:14 AM)RxBrad Wrote: EmulationStation theming works in percentages of screen height/width. While you'd think that would mean that stuff should look the same on any resolution, it ends up doing stuff like weird text wrapping and cut-off text at some screen resolutions and not others.

I'll see if I can test some different resolutions / different versions of ES to try and reproduce this and tweak the theme to not clip the last item on the list.

Hey, @Flavor...  Is the display resolution technically a custom non-320x240 resolution for overscan vs. non-overscan? That might explain it...

The framebuffer copier takes the video mode setup by config.txt and copies it to the LCD, so it's possible that my 640x480 resolution (for use with a different driver) is causing the issue. By default, the config is set to 1024x768 and then scales it down to fit the cropped display.
I updated the linespacing on the Basic view, so it now has identical gamelist height, font size, and line spacing as the detailed & video views.  Looks like that slipped through my testing.

Was able to confirm that the old Basic view had the last line cut off on 640x480.  This is now fixed with the update.

Go ahead and update the theme, and I think it should be all good now.

Thanks!
If you tried updating earlier and it said it was already up to date, that's because I apparently forgot to push the change to the git. Fixed for realsies now...
The theme is now available though ES-themes. Inside RetroPie-Setup, first run "Update RetroPie-Setup script". Then it'll show up in the list of available themes.

The ES-themes version of the theme is called "freeplay", and is configured by default to use the purple/indigo color scheme. The color of this version of the theme can be changed by editing the color.xml file.
Oh, nice! I tried this on Friday, and I think I had to just git clone it (which was fine for me at the time).
Card Fighters' Clash 2 English Translation ( http://cfc2english.blogspot.com/ )
Neo Geo Pocket Flash Cart and Linker Project ( http://www.flashmasta.com/ )
Avatar art thanks to Trev-Mun ( http://trevmun.deviantart.com/ )
(06-12-2018, 02:19 AM)Flavor Wrote: Oh, nice!  I tried this on Friday, and I think I had to just git clone it (which was fine for me at the time).

Thanks...

The es-themes installation just gives you the purple theme that you need to manually edit if you want a different color.

In my opinion, the "best" way to install is using the utility at https://github.com/rxbrad/rxbrad_themeutils