Changing aspect ratios non retroarch emulators?
Hi, first time poster, but have been looking around the forums before and since building my freeplay zero! I am really pleased with it! So thanks to everyone who has made this project possible!

I just wondered if there is a way to change aspect ratios, for emulators other than retroarch? I saw somebody mention stuttering issues, and I have been experiencing them as well. The GBA emulator wouldn't open gpsp without bios, so mgba was very stuttery. But I have found that games seem to run better using gpsp without the liberato core... the snes emulators as well stuttered a bit, but I fixed this by using pisnes emulator (again without liberato core/retro arch.) I don't mind keeping the 4:3 aspect ratio for snes. But for gba games I get a black border top and bottom (suggesting 16:9?) using gpsp (not lr-gpsp.) Is there a way to stretch the image to fit the gba screen?

Thanks, Rob
Thanks.. that actually makes SNES games playable. I'm ciricur how you exit games with the non-lr emulators without a keyboard attached, though... Power switch + Select doesn't seem to do it.

EDIT: Select + Start works for PiSNES. Nice.
Google turned up this on PiSNES...

To fill the screen, /opt/retropie/emulators/pisnes/snes9x.cfg will need to be changed.

From
[Graphics]
MaintainAspectRatio=1
To
MaintainAspectRatio=0
Hi RxBrad,

I'm glad switching to pisnes helped you out! As you found out the hotkeys are start + select to quit, you can use select + L or R to load/save too.

As a side note, is it possible to add the on/off switch as the hot key in pisnes? I don't know what button the on/off switch would correspond too?
EDIT: on/off = button 8

I'd also try gpsp (non liberato) out as well - (I think you need gba bios too, if you haven't already got it,) as I think it performs better than the liberato version. If you try it, start and select are bound to y and x respectively. If you press y + r that brings up a menu so you can bind start and select to the actual buttons. Haven't been able to figure out how to add hot keys for quick save and quick load yet.

I mainly wanted to change the gpsp (non liberato) aspect ratio, as I don't mind snes being 4:3. But I'll have a look with the info you posted as it's a start! Searching yesterday, I didn't know where to look, couldn't find much searching for gpsp and retropie - so, thank you! Do you know how to change other emulators (liberato) aspect ratio? Is it the same code as above but 1 instead of 0? I know what I mean lol
(05-08-2018, 11:46 PM)Rob.c Wrote: Hi RxBrad,

I'm glad switching to pisnes helped you out! As you found out the hotkeys are start + select to quit, you can use select + L or R to load/save too.

As a side note, is it possible to add the on/off switch as the hot key in pisnes? I don't know what button the on/off switch would correspond too?
EDIT: on/off = button 8

I'd also try gpsp (non liberato) out as well - (I think you need gba bios too, if you haven't already got it,) as I think it performs better than the liberato version. If you try it, start and select are bound to y and x respectively. If you press y + r that brings up a menu so you can bind start and select to the actual buttons. Haven't been able to figure out how to add hot keys for quick save and quick load yet.

I mainly wanted to change the gpsp (non liberato) aspect ratio, as I don't mind snes being 4:3. But I'll have a look with the info you posted as it's a start! Searching yesterday, I didn't know where to look, couldn't find much searching for gpsp and retropie - so, thank you! Do you know how to change other emulators (liberato) aspect ratio? Is it the same code as above but 1 instead of 0? I know what I mean lol

Haven't gotten around to trying any GBA games yet, but I suspect if there's a way to edit the aspect ratio on gpSP, it'd be somewhere in /opt/retropie/emulators/gpsp/gpsp.cfg  --  Here's the wiki for it

I didn't get a lot of time to play around with PiSNES, but it looks like the controls also need to be remapped for use on the Freeplays. A & B were swapped, as were X & Y. I assume that can be done by editing /opt/retropie/emulators/pisnes/snes9x.cfg also.  Here's the wiki on that one.

If the hotkey ("hotswitch"?) is bound to an actual keyboard code, I'd think you could use that in the cfg files for the non-libretro emulators.