CM3 Safe Shutdown Question
This is my first CM3 but I have built a bunch of Zeros (and GBZs) and I'm not sure the safe shutdown is working correctly.

When I slide the power button and hold it, I have to hold it till the green light goes out and then as soon as I release the power button it powers off instantly.

I seem to remember in the past, that I'd slide the switch, hold it until the shutdown script popped up, I'd then release it and it would then finish the script and shut off.

Has something changed or something wrong?
Following what is set in shutdown_daemon.py, you have to slider power switch for about 4 seconds to put the system into a shutdown state.

I think TFT driver is killed pretty early during this state, this is why you don't notice anything.

(Sorry, I just saw your second message :/) If you can connect thru SSH, run 'htop' and look if '/home/pi/Freeplay/Freeplay-Support/shutdown_daemon.py' is present. If so, you're good Wink
Thanks for the reply, it seems to shut down very quickly and suddenly. I just tested it and it seems like I have to hold the button for like 5-6 seconds and then as soon as I release the button the whole unit (screen, led, etc) is powered off (like you just pulled the battery).

If I choose shutdown from the ES menu, it appears to run a script for a second or two then power off, which is how I remember the button working on the Zeros I have built. So either the CM3 does it almost instantly via the button but not by the Shutdown in the ES menu or holding the button for 6 seconds or so just seems to do an instant hard shutdown (like pulling the battery).
Look strange, I don't have the latest image installed, maybe something changed as you said earlier.
Unfortunately I can not help you more :/
Yeah it seems a little strange. I'm not sure I have the latest image either, I see it was just updated on March 1st, I did just finish my build a week ago, but I had written the mSD image a while before that.

Gonna try to stick the mSD card in my regular Pi 3 so I can pull my save games off and then reimage the card.
I think that what you are describing sounds normal. The Zero and the CM3 use the same script. The main difference is that the CM3 runs through the shutdown process a LOT faster than the Zero does. I assume that's the only real difference. By the time you are releasing the button, the system has already shut down.

You can test this by hooking up to HDMI when you run the shutdown. You should see all the text there.
Card Fighters' Clash 2 English Translation ( http://cfc2english.blogspot.com/ )
Neo Geo Pocket Flash Cart and Linker Project ( http://www.flashmasta.com/ )
Avatar art thanks to Trev-Mun ( http://trevmun.deviantart.com/ )
(03-28-2019, 12:59 AM)Flavor Wrote: I think that what you are describing sounds normal.  The Zero and the CM3 use the same script.  The main difference is that the CM3 runs through the shutdown process a LOT faster than the Zero does.  I assume that's the only real difference.  By the time you are releasing the button, the system has already shut down.  

You can test this by hooking up to HDMI when you run the shutdown.  You should see all the text there.

Thanks Ed, I will give that a go and just confirm, it definitely does shut down a lot quicker, hopefully that is what it is.

Just checked with HDMI, and the text does indeed pop up for about 0.5 seconds, definitely runs a lot faster than on the Zeros but glad it seems to be working properly.