Ralink 5370 wifi driver
If the kernel version is not the same as the last post, you will need to upgrade it, you may also need to recompile GPIO driver.
Thru SSH:
- 'sudo apt-get update'
- 'sudo apt-get install raspberrypi-kernel raspberrypi-kernel-headers'
- Restart the console
- If buttons on the console does not work anymore, reconnect thru SSH.
- 'cd /home/pi/Freeplay/mk_arcade_joystick_rpi'
- 'sudo nano dkms.conf' and check what version is indicated (0.1.5.X), then exit nano by pressing Ctrl+X.
- 'sudo dkms build -m mk_arcade_joystick_rpi -v VERSION_FROM_NANO(0.1.5.X)'
- 'sudo dkms install -m mk_arcade_joystick_rpi -v VERSION_FROM_NANO(0.1.5.X) --force'
- 'sudo modprobe mk_arcade_joystick_rpi'
- Buttons should work now, if not, a path to a log file will be provided, please copy/paste it's content here.
Thanks Porcinus for the info, I don't have a hub, so can't get the outputs via SSH with the dongle inserted.

Kernel version is 4.14.98-v7+ and both mt7601u.bin and mt6701u.ko are present in the correct locations.

At this point, I'm just going to send the dongle back and use the wired connection (now that I have everything setup and tweaked the way I want the only time I will need a network connection is running skyscraper and added the relevant artwork I want) - its a little inconvenient but not worth messing with.

Thanks for the help though.
No problem Wink

There is a last thing you can try but it can crash your device. If so, you will have to unplug the battery and plug it back (while the USB cable is disconnected).

- Plug the WiFi dongle, wait 10sec and unplug it.
- Plug the ethernet adapter, connect thru SSH.
- 'cd /home/pi/Retropie/roms/'
- 'sudo dmesg > dmesg.txt'
- The file should be accessible via Windows shares.
- Paste the last 30 lines here.