Fit n' finish questions from a new user
Got it re: D-pad. What does lowering the center pivot do for you? I could imagine instead adding rings of material until the relative height is adequate.

The switch slider rotates still, but only with the other shell half off. The thing that seems to happen is that the fiddling and seating one does in getting the pcb mated and the shell halves closed often causes to the the slider to wiggle out of position and then fall inward. If you can get the thing assembled and not do that, the slider is reliable as anything.

I've done the rest of the Sugru work. The USB port stuck more to the bottom shell than it did the top, unfortunately. That means I couldn't get it to accurately shape the port. With some water and fingernail work, I got it pretty close. I think screwing the device tight will cause the rubber to bulge after it cures, but you do and you learn. Maybe next time I'd shape it to have a bit of a concave recess.

Getting the stuff rubbed all over the screen area was difficult. Sugru adheres less readily to shiny bits and sometimes the pliability varies.* I think I've got an even soft surface now for the screen to rest on. We shall see when I do a final test fit.

A piece of me wants to remove the hot glue and de-solder the speaker wire. It's one more thing to worry about when seating the board and sometimes the speaker slides out of position and gets pinched. That won't be a problem when I remove the adhesive cover, but it is mildly irritating when trying to get four or five things in the right position.

*shiny bits meaning the top shell, not the screen.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Fit n' finish questions from a new user - by Bedwyr - 04-03-2019, 05:12 AM