Is it worth me loading a new image
Hey guys, I've had my Freeplay Zero for a while now and am trying to get better performance out of my SNES and PSX games. The image I'm currently using is Freeplay_Zero_17111701. Is it worth me loading a new image or is there not much value to doing so performance wise? Can I do this through updates or is it better just to write to the SD and start again fresh?

Thanks I really appreciate any help I can get Big Grin
(07-15-2019, 10:26 PM)sneakypebbles Wrote: Hey guys, I've had my Freeplay Zero for a while now and am trying to get better performance out of my SNES and PSX games. The image I'm currently using is Freeplay_Zero_17111701. Is it worth me loading a new image or is there not much value to doing so performance wise? Can I do this through updates or is it better just to write to the SD and start again fresh?

The best performance I've gotten out of my Zero is with whatever image is based on RetroPie 4.3. RetroPie 4.4 seems to be a little too taxing on the Zero. My FPZ runs PSX fine, even with the experimental display driver.
(07-16-2019, 02:48 AM)Ordinary Vanity Wrote:
(07-15-2019, 10:26 PM)sneakypebbles Wrote: Hey guys, I've had my Freeplay Zero for a while now and am trying to get better performance out of my SNES and PSX games. The image I'm currently using is Freeplay_Zero_17111701. Is it worth me loading a new image or is there not much value to doing so performance wise? Can I do this through updates or is it better just to write to the SD and start again fresh?

The best performance I've gotten out of my Zero is with whatever image is based on RetroPie 4.3. RetroPie 4.4 seems to be a little too taxing on the Zero. My FPZ runs PSX fine, even with the experimental display driver.

So you'd recommend 18032101 over 19062002?
Also in one of your older posts I noticed you added these lines to boot.cfg

hdmi_cvt=320 240 60 1 0 0 0
hdmi_mode=87

Does this improve anything?
There is also now a RetroPie 4.5. We are getting ready to release a new image for that.

I think that the config.txt lines
hdmi_mode=87
will probably help with performance a little bit. They will likely make HDMI unusable.
Card Fighters' Clash 2 English Translation ( http://cfc2english.blogspot.com/ )
Neo Geo Pocket Flash Cart and Linker Project ( http://www.flashmasta.com/ )
Avatar art thanks to Trev-Mun ( http://trevmun.deviantart.com/ )
(07-16-2019, 04:20 AM)sneakypebbles Wrote:
(07-16-2019, 02:48 AM)Ordinary Vanity Wrote:

So you'd recommend 18032101 over 19062002?
Also in one of your older posts I noticed you added these lines to boot.cfg

hdmi_mode=87

Does this improve anything?

Like Flavor said, it will probably give a small boost. That line is just adding a smaller render resolution.

Certain systems benefit from a different emulator. For SNES, I've had great results tracking down the lr-armsnes core, which I think runs much better than lr-snes9x2002. PiSNES is another fast core, but suffers from some pretty significant input lag and no R-GUI. GBA just needs the gpsp core with the correct GBA BIOS, and every game that is supported pretty much runs at full speed.

Some games simply won't run well or at all, no matter what image you use.
It's not of great value, but you do it for yourself. If you want to upload a new image, then why not do it?
It's not of great value, but you do it for yourself.