Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Neo Geo X
(08-17-2012, 06:28 AM)Flavor Wrote: It seems that it's slated for a $200 price tag. I think (not sure) that gets you the handheld, the docking station (which looks like an AES) with HDMI out, and an AES-like controller.

Oh, a docking station! Right. For some reason, I thought they were doing a AES clone as well. Now I'm curious about the stick. There are ports on the front of the docking station, so it will be wired? The ports don't look like AES ports, either, so I'm guessing the stick is USB. It's really annoying how little information there is on the Neo Geo X website.

Quote:Based on some reading-between-the-lines, I think they'll release/sell more games in the future. Maybe they'll hire me to do NGPC games for it.

I think SNK missed their chance to re-release NGPC stuff during the GBA era. Nintendo is selling their GB stuff via the Virtual Console service. If GB mono games are getting released, why not NGPC? Then you'd have a broader customer base, at least.
Is anyone as excited about Neo Geo X homebrew as I am? XD

Btw the price includes the docking station and and accessories, which is a pretty good deal.

(08-20-2012, 08:12 AM)Biogon Wrote: Btw the price includes the docking station and and accessories, which is a pretty good deal.

I'd say that still depends on the build quality of both the console and, maybe more importantly, the stick. For some reason, sticks are all the rage again, and they can get pricey. If we're getting quality in this case, sure, the price may be justified, but I'd hate to see a clunky stick which reveals a single PCB for all of the buttons once opened.

Quote:Is anyone as excited about Neo Geo X homebrew as I am?

With the extremely small number of Neo Geo homebrew productions out there, I can't really say that I am. A new platform is unlikely to change that. By the way, how many homebrew productions are there on the Neo Geo? I've seen only a couple. That frog game by Charles Doty, which was released on just about everything, a Rick Dangerous type platformer, with Indiana Jones and a vertical shoot 'em up. Maybe some Tetris clone as well. Can't remember. Plus that recent demo which we've discussed on the boards. Is there anything else that's noteworthy?
I was mostly joking about Neo Geo X homebrew, hah. But yes, Neo Geo homebrew is pretty scarce compared to other platforms. I think the projects you mentioned are all there are for Neo Geo homebrew, besides various tetris-like puzzle games.
(08-21-2012, 06:41 AM)Biogon Wrote: I think the projects you mentioned are all there are for Neo Geo homebrew, besides various tetris-like puzzle games.

Some time after I wrote my entry I remembered there was also a Bouder Dash type of game and Neo Pong. I have all of these somewhere, but what are the chances we'd be able to play them on the Neo Geo X?
Japanese Amazon opened pre-orders for Neo Geo X. If you order now, you'll be getting a Ninja Master "game card" as well. At the moment, this will cost you ¥19.900, which is about $257. At least the shipping is free.
Preorders opened on Amazon and gamestop in the United States recently with the same deal, but a price of $200. I've put mine in because it looks like a fun little handheld. It's a little exciting to see the Neo Geo X being pushed into quite a few reputable stores in the US as well (alongside the online market).
Quote:Is anyone as excited about Neo Geo X homebrew as I am?

It's not a NeoGeo-On-a-Chip though. From what I understand it's just another ARM SoC (think Raspberry Pi) running a NeoGeo emulator, housed inside a pretty case.
(10-26-2012, 03:44 PM)mic_ Wrote: It's not a NeoGeo-On-a-Chip though. From what I understand it's just another ARM SoC (think Raspberry Pi) running a NeoGeo emulator, housed inside a pretty case.

That's exactly why I wasn't really excited about this. As much as I'd like to support SNK, I'm not a big fan of portable consoles, which are basically emulators. The price is a huge turn-off as well, with Neo Geo X being what it is. Besides, I've pretty much bought all of those games five times over in different formats.
(10-27-2012, 02:37 AM)Morden Wrote: That's exactly why I wasn't really excited about this. As much as I'd like to support SNK, I'm not a big fan of portable consoles, which are basically emulators. The price is a huge turn-off as well, with Neo Geo X being what it is. Besides, I've pretty much bought all of those games five times over in different formats.

Well, don't fret too much about it. I'm pretty sure that SNK is just selling their name, logo, and game rights on this. I don't think they had anything to do with the creation of the thing. I'm not saying the unit isn't nice, but it really isn't much different than any other emulation system.

Well, except for that clicky stick!
Card Fighters' Clash 2 English Translation ( http://cfc2english.blogspot.com/ )
Neo Geo Pocket Flash Cart and Linker Project ( http://www.flashmasta.com/ )
Avatar art thanks to Trev-Mun ( http://trevmun.deviantart.com/ )