How to work with SD card partition?
Hey guys, I'm pretty new to all this so bear with me.

I just got an awesome Freeplay CM3 system from Retro Modding, and I've burned the newest Freeplay image to my SD card. The "boot" is on one partition with about 240MB, and the rest of the SD card (29.5GB) doesn't have a disk letter so I can't put any ROMs onto it. Do I need to use another USB drive to transfer ROMs to the Freeplay, or can I somehow copy them to the SD card when it's inserted in my computer? If I do transfer the ROMs using a USB, will they automatically go to the larger partition?

Also, my L2, R2, and Hotkey buttons don't work. Could you help me configure it so that they will work? 

I really appreciate all the help!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Transfer the ROMs as described in the guide, via USB. 
When you have followed the instructions correctly, and followed the procedure, your ROM's will automatically be dumped into the right file path into the SD card.
Sleepy
(10-21-2019, 02:42 AM)luisito Wrote: Transfer the ROMs as described in the guide, via USB. 
When you have followed the instructions correctly, and followed the procedure, your ROM's will automatically be dumped into the right file path into the SD card.
Sleepy

Thank you! I will try that later today Smile
Edit: Perhaps I misread everything.

Did you create an actual partition on your micro SD card before burning the image?
If you did...
Why?

If you did...
Break the two partitions into one again. Re-image your micro SD card. 
Otherwise, you won't be able to upload any ROM's as your "boot" partition is too small for ROM's. Also, your system will be super slow. 

If you did...
Partitions are only useful when you are trying to separate multiple operating systems, or restrict access to certain users or groups in a network based storage. This is an enterprise level solution, this is not applicable for your DIY handheld gaming console.
This is why for personal storage (sd cards, external hard drives, etc), a folder system is so much more efficient, reliable, etc...

If you didn't...
Forget everything I said. I misunderstood.
(10-21-2019, 05:23 AM)luisito Wrote: Edit: Perhaps I misread everything.

Did you create an actual partition on your micro SD card before burning the image?
If you did...
Why?

If you did...
Break the two partitions into one again. Re-image your micro SD card. 
Otherwise, you won't be able to upload any ROM's as your "boot" partition is too small for ROM's. Also, your system will be super slow. 

If you did...
Partitions are only useful when you are trying to separate multiple operating systems, or restrict access to certain users or groups in a network based storage. This is an enterprise level solution, this is not applicable for your DIY handheld gaming console.
This is why for personal storage (sd cards, external hard drives, etc), a folder system is so much more efficient, reliable, etc...

If you didn't...
Forget everything I said. I misunderstood.

It actually came like that when I bought it from Retro Modding for some reason. I wasn't sure why, and I will do what you said and combine the two partitions into one. That seems to make much more sense to me. Not sure why they had it like that, but it was obviously intentional. Perhaps they wanted to store RetroPie on one partition, and the games on another? Again, not sure why.

Do you know what to do to make the L2, R2 and Hotkey buttons work on the gameboy? They are installed correctly and they worked the first time I tried them, but after re-imaging the SD card, they aren't detected by the Freeplay. I found this page on the Freeplay website, but I'm not sure what I need to change to make the buttons work. Again, thanks!
(10-21-2019, 05:41 AM)Happyhaha2000 Wrote: It actually came like that when I bought it from Retro Modding for some reason. I wasn't sure why, and I will do what you said and combine the two partitions into one. That seems to make much more sense to me. Not sure why they had it like that, but it was obviously intentional. Perhaps they wanted to store RetroPie on one partition, and the games on another? Again, not sure why.

Don't change the partitions. The RetroPie operating system typically uses 2 partitions. One of them is a FAT32 format, and it will show up on your computer as 'boot' as you noticed. This one is fairly small, and it is not useful for storing things (like ROM files). It's only purpose is to allow the system to boot and use the other partition.

The other partition (that your Windows/Mac computer likely can't see) is the actual operating system and all the data files. Use the "USB Stick" or "SFTP" methods detailed here (https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Set...rring-Roms) to add games. If you really want to use the "Samba-Shares" method, you would need to install SAMBA first. We remove it for speed reasons.

(10-21-2019, 05:41 AM)Happyhaha2000 Wrote: Do you know what to do to make the L2, R2 and Hotkey buttons work on the gameboy? They are installed correctly and they worked the first time I tried them, but after re-imaging the SD card, they aren't detected by the Freeplay. I found this page on the Freeplay website, but I'm not sure what I need to change to make the buttons work. Again, thanks!

RetroModding likely set these up for you. The mk_arcade_joystick_rpi button driver (https://github.com/TheFlav/mk_arcade_joystick_rpi) needs these to be defined at bootup in the /etc/modprobe.d/mk_arcade_joystick.conf file. If you edit that file (sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/mk_arcade_joystick.conf), you would probably need to change the gpio parameter to something like
gpio=4,17,6,5,19,26,16,24,23,18,15,14,-20,42,43,-1,41,-1,-1,-1,-1
You may want to ask RetroModding how they had it set up for you.

If you have a fan installed, you may also need to re-install that software.
Card Fighters' Clash 2 English Translation ( http://cfc2english.blogspot.com/ )
Neo Geo Pocket Flash Cart and Linker Project ( http://www.flashmasta.com/ )
Avatar art thanks to Trev-Mun ( http://trevmun.deviantart.com/ )
(10-21-2019, 05:41 AM)Oki Happyhaha2000 Wrote: It actually came like that when I bought it from Retro Modding for some reason.

You didn’t mention this before. Ummm... I would not touch the partitions in this case. If you changed the partitions and are having problems with your button layout not working we clearly broke something, suggesting that it is indeed a custom image, meaning that everything is set up for you already as you paid for a custom mod.

I would suggest to revert any changes that you have made and I encouraged you to do. I am pretty sure that you can find their custom image and guide somewhere in their support website from Retromod.

The bad: I wasted your time. Confused
The good: You get to learn. Big Grin
(10-22-2019, 01:35 PM)luisito Wrote:
(10-21-2019, 05:41 AM)Oki Happyhaha2000 Wrote: It actually came like that when I bought it from Retro Modding for some reason.

You didn’t mention this before. Ummm... I would not touch the partitions in this case. If you changed the partitions and are having problems with your button layout not working we clearly broke something, suggesting that it is indeed a custom image, meaning that everything  is set up for you already as you paid for a custom mod.

I would suggest to revert any changes that you have made and I encouraged you to do. I am pretty sure that you can find their custom image and guide somewhere in their support website from Retromod.

The bad: I wasted your time.   Confused
The good: You get to learn.  Big Grin

Posting for anyone who's confused as I was: I reconnected the partitions and then re-burned the Freeplay image onto the SD card. After doing so, the SD card was split back into two partitions, as it was before! It works fine, I guess it's supposed to be like that. One small partition for the boot software and one large partition for everything else including ROMs.
(10-22-2019, 05:01 AM)Flavor Wrote:
(10-21-2019, 05:41 AM)Happyhaha2000 Wrote: Do you know what to do to make the L2, R2 and Hotkey buttons work on the gameboy? They are installed correctly and they worked the first time I tried them, but after re-imaging the SD card, they aren't detected by the Freeplay. I found this page on the Freeplay website, but I'm not sure what I need to change to make the buttons work. Again, thanks!

RetroModding likely set these up for you.  The mk_arcade_joystick_rpi button driver (https://github.com/TheFlav/mk_arcade_joystick_rpi) needs these to be defined at bootup in the /etc/modprobe.d/mk_arcade_joystick.conf file.  If you edit that file (sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/mk_arcade_joystick.conf), you would probably need to change the gpio parameter to something like
gpio=4,17,6,5,19,26,16,24,23,18,15,14,-20,42,43,-1,41,-1,-1,-1,-1
You may want to ask RetroModding how they had it set up for you.  

If you have a fan installed, you may also need to re-install that software.

I've messaged RetroModding and they replied with the same link that I posted to the google doc here. I still don't really understand what I need to do. How do I define that driver at bootup, and what file do I edit, and how to I edit that file? Can I do that on my computer by inserting the SD card, or do I have to do it on the Freeplay somehow with a keyboard plugged in? I know I sound like a dweeb, I'm just really new to all this and I could use the explanation for a 5-year-old.  Confused
(10-22-2019, 02:07 PM)Happyhaha2000 Wrote: I've messaged RetroModding and they replied with the same link that I posted to the google doc here. I still don't really understand what I need to do. How do I define that driver at bootup, and what file do I edit, and how to I edit that file? Can I do that on my computer by inserting the SD card, or do I have to do it on the Freeplay somehow with a keyboard plugged in? I know I sound like a dweeb, I'm just really new to all this and I could use the explanation for a 5-year-old.  Confused

The instructions are very descriptive on what you need to do.

Can you connect a keyboard, and monitor to your CM3? This will help you a lot.

Double check (haven’t done it in a long while) but I believe that you have to press F4 to bring the command window, then you type the code given in the guide. (Under software setup) But you have to be connected to WiFi because it will download the file from github automatically. If the download and installation was successful, you need to remove the symbol # from one of the code lines (you open your micro sd card in your computer and search for a text file, specific text file as described in the guide), you will not remove all of them, but only one, the one that has your particular setup. And save it.

Bare minimum, you need a USB hub, keyboard and WiFi dongle. Monitor will only help you make the screen bigger, but helps a lot. CM3 does not include a WiFi or bluetooth modules, so only wired keyboard and WiFi through a USB dongle.

Let us know how it goes and if you need more help. I tried to put in as plain as possible, as requested. Tongue