A dumb question about adding a speaker to boxy CM3
Sorry for the dumb question but after researching stuff I'm just mixed up. I soldered a second speaker (working speaker from a broken phone) assuming it'd just be dual mono, sound came out of both but it sounded like it was compensating from something- sometimes the sound would shift around left to right.  I found some posts about stereo sound but requires an add on. Is there a way to have 2 speakers without the stereo add on? Or just where to get the add on. It doesn't have to be stereo, I'm just trying to have 2 speakers where the joysticks go on the boxy shell. Thanks for any help you can provide this noob haha I've built computers and have some basic electrical knowledge but shortly after getting into this hobby I realized there's A LOT more I don't know, than I do haha
Did you wire the speakers in series or parallel? Can you show a photo of what you did to connect the second speaker?
Card Fighters' Clash 2 English Translation ( http://cfc2english.blogspot.com/ )
Neo Geo Pocket Flash Cart and Linker Project ( http://www.flashmasta.com/ )
Avatar art thanks to Trev-Mun ( http://trevmun.deviantart.com/ )
You need to take account of power and impedance of the speaker from Freeplay kit.
I think it is a 1W 8ohm speaker (not sure for the power).

If the speaker doesn't match power, you will have a volume difference between left and right.
If impedance doesn't match, the audio driver can have overheat (unlikely in your situation).

Quick note: speaker only output one channel, I don't remember if it is left or right (it is difficult to combine stereo to proper mono output without adding a negative voltage source and a opamp).
Flavor: They were parallel, there's just one speaker in it right now but this is a crude version of what it looked like. I figured it wouldn't be this simple but 

Porcinus: Oh okay, that makes sense. I just was the Freeplay speaker and the random spare. The two speakers in the picture just came in and haven't tried with them yet, they're also 1w 8ohm.

Thanks guys!

Edit: sorry but I can't seem to get the picture to upload. It was just a simple parallel circuit
(10-24-2020, 11:02 AM)edthethird Wrote: Flavor: They were parallel, there's just one speaker in it right now but this is a crude version of what it looked like. I figured it wouldn't be this simple but 

Porcinus: Oh okay, that makes sense. I just was the Freeplay speaker and the random spare. The two speakers in the picture just came in and haven't tried with them yet, they're also 1w 8ohm.

Thanks guys!

Edit: sorry but I can't seem to get the picture to upload. It was just a simple parallel circuit

I had some issues with pictures - apparently mine were to large (try to crop or change file format)

Where do you plan to put the second speaker? Would be interested to do the same if it is possible.

Good Luck!
notchrisroger, sorry for the late reply but it worked! The original issue was probably the different speaker specs like porcinus said (or shoddy soldering haha). These speakers are from adafruit and the fit diagonally in the joystick spots, but I'm sure they'd work in the back vents too.

I found a post about the picture problem, they just need to be under 2mb, had to do some cropping Smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)