Freeplay Zero Build - thoughts and questions
Hi, thanks for your help. I think I was unclear about some of the problems so I'll clarify when I can.

1. I am sure I don't have any residue or glue on the d-pad portion of the PCB. One reason is because I never put the dab of glue back over the speaker connectors. Thanks for the link with the cardstock mod. I tried it but it didn't seem to really help so I just removed it. I also learned that GBA d-pads are mushy compared to other consoles (even the GB SP). I don't have a bunch of portable machines with me so it's hard to compare. I just know that with other controllers (xbox one, buffalo snes usb, raspiboy, new nintendo ds, etc) all the d-pads are more clicky. I could love with the d-pad being mushy, if it weren't for ...
  2. The fact it gets stuck sometimes. I know what quick system switch option you are talking about. I actually like it so I leave it on but I never considered it could make ES get sticky with the directional. That is an interesting theory. I can't say for sure if I get stuck in games because my issues are usually the d-pad down direction and in a lot of games, that doesn't really do anything. You are right though, I see it most often in ES when I am not touching anything and all of a sudden it scrolls down to Zelda (end of list). Right now if I press down, it will actually get stuck for 1 second then release. You can see and hear this. It's really annoying. I would order different pads but even at $3 a set, I don't want to keep getting them if I can't be guaranteed they'll be an improvement. I think the silicon pad and the plastic directional cross are actually getting stuck together. PS I know about the two little holes that plug into the posts. I always make sure they are fitted.
  3. If I shave off the bumps on the connectors, are you sure they won't accidentally come out with normal use? I don't mind keeping them in there for a tight "locked" fit except anytime I remove it, I am super scared the two wires will come out. 
  4. If I set my hotkey to select (like normal), do I lose any other functionality? I know I can still use the power button (switch and leave in on position) to initiate the shutdown. Am I missing out on anything else?
  5. Thanks for the tip about triggering the power button twice if I want to set it as the hotkey in the controller configuration. It set it as Button 8. Is that correct?
  6. I'll think about removing the nub. Since I can't think of a reason I'd prefer the power button hotkey, I might just leave it stock (non momentary).
I feel like this is 90% done now. I ordered another shell in order to get a new front face (I really hate my oblong oddly shaped and ugly X Y holes). I also will get a Y screwdriver with it. And new buttons and pads. Hopefully everything can be finalized by next week.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Freeplay Zero Build - thoughts and questions - by sygyzy - 09-17-2017, 04:54 PM