Analogue stick without addon board
Hi, I'm a bit of a long time lurker and have never felt I had anything worth contributing to this forum but have been grateful for much of what I've seen and enjoyed seeing people's fantastic builds. Other than a no frills Freeplay Zero and a couple of PocketPi FEs I haven't built anything particularly ambitious before. 

I've bought myself a Boxypixel CM3 and I'm wanting to add a single joystick of some kind to it but I've hit a roadblock. I plan on using the BoxyPixel addon board for L2 and R2 inputs through the shoulder buttons but I also want to add one joystick.

Asking anyone who's used both the standard and BP addon boards in builds, is it possible to use both addon boards on a single CM3 board or will they need the same pins to be soldered to? Or could I cut away any unneeded parts (fan, back R2/L2 inputs) of the standard board to leave only the analogue stick parts? Or, ideally, is it possible to solder the wires for a joystick to the freeplay board directly without the need of an addon board? I'm totally uncertain if the addon board is designed as an all-in-one solution for fans, L2R2 and dual sticks or if it's the only way to add any of these. I'm hoping a single stick, rather than dual, could be added more directly.

To be honest, there seems to be little information around on how to actually add these to Freeplay boards and without step by step guides my abilities are pretty dwarfed by this task. I was thinking of going the 3DS slider or Switch joycon route but, other than a few forum posts mentioning converter PCBs (which seem to result in four connection points similar to a PSP 1000 stick) for a Switch joycon, I've had no luck finding any info on how any of the options connect. Hipcat's stunning builds, that combine shoulder L2R2 iinputs with dual sticks, give me hope that it can be done, but I'm hoping that the BP addon board recently released will make it easier for a newbie like myself to do. 

I'm hoping anyone who has any information on how to go about this might be of use to more people than just me and thank you to anyone who can provide any info!

Thanks!

Messages In This Thread
Analogue stick without addon board - by DavidRaid - 10-25-2019, 08:34 PM