Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spambot attack
Rainbow 
Ok, so each time I visit, there are new spam messages, and every day, there are at least five users celebrating their birthdays. There are over 250 pages of registered users, but only about 60 people who have ever posted. This includes users who have only posted once.

I haven't checked the list before, so I'm not sure if new users keep registering, or if the current state of affairs if the aftermath of the spambot attack from last year.

Either way, some cleaning is in order. Personally, I would do away with all of the users without any postings, then I would take a look at those who are left [one time posters, mainly].

If those bots keep on registering, I would also take a look at the registration procedure, captcha, question - answer check, etc. and maybe see if MyBB offers a more bot proof registration alternative.

Current number of users is insane, and if this is left unattended, eventually it will become one hell of a mess to clean up. I've seen dozens of forums that got so spammed, you couldn't reach any of the original info and posts, even if you tried. Digging through thousands of pages of spam wasn't worth anyone's time.

So, bots-be-gone!

Messages In This Thread
Spambot attack - by Morden - 05-05-2014, 04:51 AM
RE: Spambot attack - by Louie - 05-06-2014, 10:59 PM
RE: Spambot attack - by Morden - 05-07-2014, 07:17 AM
RE: Spambot attack - by Loïc - 05-07-2014, 10:50 PM
RE: Spambot attack - by Morden - 05-08-2014, 06:02 AM
RE: Spambot attack - by Flavor - 05-11-2014, 11:14 AM
RE: Spambot attack - by Loïc - 05-12-2014, 07:43 AM