Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do i program on the original monochrome Neo geo pocket?
Hey guys and gals of the Internet, so anyways I was wondering how do I program on the original monochrome neo geo pocket? Like say I want to make a tech demo for it, but how do I do that in 2023?
(05-06-2023, 05:53 AM)NeoGeoFreak2004 Wrote: Hey guys and gals of the Internet, so anyways I was wondering how do I program on the original monochrome neo geo pocket? Like say I want to make a tech demo for it, but how do I do that in 2023?

I tested, and you can use the C framework and change the System value in carthdr.h to 0x0 instead of 0x1000.

This puts the system into monochrome mode.

However, I am unsure if all the functions in the C framework specifically work with monochrome.  For example, I set one of my games made for color to monochrome and on my title screen I have it black and use the print command to display printed characters.  The printed characters are not showing in monochrome mode (i.e. it's a black screen only and no characters).  I have a level with sprites displayed and they seem to be working in monochrome, but none of my tiles that are supposed to be drawn for the level are displaying.

Now since I have it programmed for color, there is a lot happening to set palettes and assign them out.  The RAM for setting palettes was added in to NGPC, so it's possible the monochrome NGP has some different memory offsets that need to be changed in ngpc.h.  I'm not sure.

You may find helpful info here: 
http://devrs.com/ngp/files/DoNotLink/ngpcspec.txt
okay but when i change the system value for the cartridge header it gives me a white screen on neopop, maybe it is the emu i am using but how do i not see this screen no more?