[RESOLVED] USB woes... Can't add games, can't wifi, can't type.
I've had a hell of a time...

So far, I've played this thing maybe an hour...  Maybe.  I did something in the config when I was messing with display settings that caused a white screen, ever since, this thing is a brick where I can see the config menu option and navigate around the pi menus.

Timeline and things I tried.
  • Worked yesterday, played games.  Saw pixels were off, thought maybe I could fix it in hand held.  Caused white screen.

• No interest in debugging.  Took home, plugged SD into PC.  Used Etcher to use the same image I already had running.
  • Swapped back to Freeplay, boots fine, everything restored.  *Much excite.*

• Grab USB stick, clean it, add folder "retropie".
  • Plug into USB port, wait like 5 minutes (walked away got a drink, pet doggo, kissed wife).
  • Unplugged, moved to PC.  Folder.... Empty...
  • Spend 10 seconds confused.
  • Reformat drive just in case.  Try again, Folder.... Empty...
  • Grab two other USB sticks.  Try again, Folders.... Empty...
  • Get angry, google for 2 hours.  Get more angry, go to bed mad.
  • Today, ordered wifi dongle recommended via Freeplaytech.com EW-7811Un then go to work.
  • Amazon delivers, I get home.  Follow recommendations from Flavor, here.
  • Plug in dongle, nav to wifi, connect to wifi network.... "No wlan0 interface detected"
  • mad again google...
  • pull out my newly ordered powered USB hub.  Plug that puppy in.  Try USB stick... Fail.  Try Dongle... Fail...  Try a keyboard... Fail (lights flash making me think it's getting power, but doesn't work with device?).
  • Reflash SD card again, try dongle, usb and keyboard again.  Fail...
I'm not sure what to do at this point... If I can't type.. I can't run commands.  If I can't connect to wifi or get the USB method to work, I can't add games.  If I can't add games... I can't use the device period...

Code from my "wpa_supplicant.conf"
Code:
ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1
country=US

network={
  ssid="wifiname5.0"
  psk="password"
  key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
}
https://i.imgur.com/31Umub0.png <- Error shown when attempting to use dongle to wifi
Hello,
For the WiFi, I see "wifiname5.0", this dongle is not compatible to 5Ghz band to my knowledge.
If your router is dual band, you maybe have this problem : https://forum.freeplaytech.com/showthread.php?tid=4839
Short story: You may need to slit 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz SSID.

For the USB stick, I already got some troubles with this method, the only way I found to solve this was to shutdown the device, plug the stick then power the device.
Well great news.  I got the USB working via contacting support through a ticket.  Ed was kind enough to presume that the product was defective and was going to resolve it outright.  But we sent photos, and he discovered a flaw in my build.  I'm using the boxy case, not sure if this matters for this, but I didn't know that these contact points were causing an issue.  He had me disassemble my build, and try it outside of my shell.  Worked great with the USB method (instant population of folders, and acceptance of games).  

The packaging says A/B/N, I assumed that was 5.0.  I will try that 2.4 for sure though if it fails to connect now that the USB port is in fact functioning again.  Big Grin

(Not sure if I can set this as resolved, but I hope this helps someone not as cleaver as I in the future!)

https://i.imgur.com/bIE549e.png
Great news Wink
(05-27-2019, 12:34 AM)Dread Wrote: Well great news.  I got the USB working via contacting support through a ticket.  Ed was kind enough to presume that the product was defective and was going to resolve it outright.  But we sent photos, and he discovered a flaw in my build.  I'm using the boxy case, not sure if this matters for this, but I didn't know that these contact points were causing an issue.  He had me disassemble my build, and try it outside of my shell.  Worked great with the USB method (instant population of folders, and acceptance of games).  

The packaging says A/B/N, I assumed that was 5.0.  I will try that 2.4 for sure though if it fails to connect now that the USB port is in fact functioning again.  Big Grin

(Not sure if I can set this as resolved, but I hope this helps someone not as cleaver as I in the future!)

https://i.imgur.com/bIE549e.png

I also ran into some odd USB issues with my Boxy case. After some troubleshooting I noticed the USB port wasn't working with anything. I removed the CM3 from the Shell... And it worked! I place the CM3 back into the shell and close it up... it Works! After 2-3 reboots... it doesn't work.

I will take a closer look at the contact points you attached in the picture. See if this was my issue as well.
Just want to add that this is my problem also. I have a boxy pixel slim and everything works outside of case. will update you guys after install to case but I think its solved. Thanks!
Strange now only the power buttons work. No (b a x y left right up down select start). It is that way inside and outside of case.
Now that is odd.... I ordered some expedited shipping on some Kapton tape (and can confirm it worked, my wifi adapter is flashing right now in front of me.. Something it did not do previously), but the fellow that helped me via TT said I could use either that or Kapton tape. You sure nothing is bridging any weird connections between anything?
All is working. I previously did a update to the retro pie software and I think that undid the controller settings.

I just used electrical tape. Didn't want to buy kapton.