Can't set up WiFi dongle edimax EW-7811Un
Hi everyone!

I'm trying to access to my WiFi with the Edimax EW-7811Un that I bought from the freeplaytech store. The problem is even if I plug it, the WiFi menu keep telling me "No wlan0 interface detected". I checked in the terminal with lsusb if the dongle was recognize and it was. But when I checked if I had the driver with lsmod, I did not see it. I don't understand why cause it supposes to works out of the box?

ps: Sorry if my english is bad, I'm a french Canadian haha.

Charles
Hey just got my CM3 kit. Having the same issue and can't seem to solve it. Loading the Zero 2 test image fixes the problem funny enough, but it's incredibly unstable for obvious reasons.
(04-03-2022, 02:55 AM)Sirenightfire Wrote: Hey just got my CM3 kit.  Having the same issue and can't seem to solve it.  Loading the Zero 2 test image fixes the problem funny enough, but it's incredibly unstable for obvious reasons.

Hey just thought I'd come on back and report some success.  

So specifically my issue regarding this topic was that my WiFi Dongle just wouldn't work at all.  It was the same exact model as the one sold from the Freeplay Store. This is for the CM3 kit.

After setting up my SD card I tried everything to get the dongle to work.  Everything.  The little activity light just wouldn't come on.  So I then tried using the Freeplay_CM3-and-Zero2_Test_21110201 image (to be more specific. My dongle DOES NOT WORK with the regular CM3 image and CM3 Test image for 4.6 ONLY the CM3 and Zero 2 test.)  I thought that it should be fine despite having Zero 2 in the name.

The system boots up fine with minimal issue.  Each time I burned the image it seemed to freeze upon the first actual boot.  Which required me to restart the system.  After restarting I noticed that my WiFi dongle activity light has lit up!  SUCCESS! Or so I thought.

If I go to connect to a network it can in fact detect that there are networks.  I just can't join them or I get an "Unable to join network" error.  During this time it looks as though that my activity light turns off.  Odd I thought.

I determined it was that the dongle itself has power saving settings and would try and turn off during a connection setup.  After adding a few lines using the Sudo Nano /etc/network/interfaces everything works fine.
(04-04-2022, 11:45 AM)Sirenightfire Wrote:
(04-03-2022, 02:55 AM)Sirenightfire Wrote: Hey just got my CM3 kit.  Having the same issue and can't seem to solve it.  Loading the Zero 2 test image fixes the problem funny enough, but it's incredibly unstable for obvious reasons.

Hey just thought I'd come on back and report some success.  

So specifically my issue regarding this topic was that my WiFi Dongle just wouldn't work at all.  It was the same exact model as the one sold from the Freeplay Store. This is for the CM3 kit.

After setting up my SD card I tried everything to get the dongle to work.  Everything.  The little activity light just wouldn't come on.  So I then tried using the Freeplay_CM3-and-Zero2_Test_21110201 image (to be more specific. My dongle DOES NOT WROK with the regular CM3 image and CM3 Test image for 4.6 ONLY the CM3 and Zero 2 test.)  I thought that it should be fine despite having Zero 2 in the name.

The system boots up fine with minimal issue.  Each time I burned the image it seemed to freeze upon the first actual boot.  Which required me to restart the system.  After restarting I noticed that my WiFi dongle activity light has lit up!  SUCCESS! Or so I thought.

If I go to connect to a network it can in fact detect that there are networks.  I just can't join them or I get an "Unable to join network" error.  During this time it looks as though that my activity light turns off.  Odd I thought.

I determined it was that the dongle itself has power saving settings and would try and turn off during a connection setup.  After adding a few lines using the Sudo Nano /etc/network/interfaces everything works fine.

I'm trying to figure out how to get this very same thing to work to no avail. What were the few lines that you added to resolve the issue?
Was it this image that you tired: IMAGE=Freeplay_CM3_20051201

Using the same dongle as you, I simply boot up device and it automatically detects.

If not you could try this WiFi + Bluetooth dongle solution:

https://forum.freeplaytech.com/showthread.php?tid=5298