Boxy Pixel fit and finish
Hi, 

I’ve received a Boxy Pixel case, and the quality seems stellar overall 

However, the d-pad seems a bit mushy, and the a/b/x/y buttons rattle a bit. Does anyone have any tips on improving things a bit?  The buttons are really not much of an issue, and could probably be solved by putting some padding on the bottom of the buttons so that they’re held more firmly in place. 

I’m not sure of how to improve the d-pad though. I’ve tried three different button pads, and all have the same issue. 

But I may be jumping the gun, as there was an issue with my RetroModding order, and don’t have the compute module yet, so I can’t power it up to truly test. 

Anyway, once things are running I’ll post some pics. I haven’t seen many black aluminum builds, and with blue and silver buttons, it looks great. Thanks
I’ve run into the same problems. My down button would often feel stiff and sometimes wouldn’t register. I ended buying a different silicone pad for the D-pad, which helped. You may need to trim the pad very slightly with a razor, as the Boxy Pixel shell has some interior shapes where the silicone tends to fold a little bit due to the tight fit. Make sure not to remove too much material though.
You may also want to look at this thread and post there, as he has done a bunch of work messing around in this area.

https://forum.freeplaytech.com/showthrea...65#pid8765
Card Fighters' Clash 2 English Translation ( http://cfc2english.blogspot.com/ )
Neo Geo Pocket Flash Cart and Linker Project ( http://www.flashmasta.com/ )
Avatar art thanks to Trev-Mun ( http://trevmun.deviantart.com/ )
I do agree that the buttons have a little too much play (which probably contributes to the issue I described in my thread that Flavor linked).

I've actually ordered another set of metal buttons and a set of 3D printed resin buttons as I'm still not completely happy with the feel. I'll see how messing with those goes. I really want my $300+ device to feel right...

As far as the dpad, I've tried two different silicone pads. One is stiffer than the other. The inputs register fine, but it does feel mushy with either pad. Not sure what to do about that.

Dansor, do your ABXY buttons bind up or feel gritty if you press them at an angle? Like when rolling your thumb from A to X or B to Y?
(08-07-2019, 03:17 AM)krisyadao Wrote: I do agree that the buttons have a little too much play (which probably contributes to the issue I described in my thread that Flavor linked).

I've actually ordered another set of metal buttons and a set of 3D printed resin buttons as I'm still not completely happy with the feel. I'll see how messing with those goes. I really want my $300+ device to feel right...

As far as the dpad, I've tried two different silicone pads. One is stiffer than the other. The inputs register fine, but it does feel mushy with either pad. Not sure what to do about that.

Dansor, do your ABXY buttons bind up or feel gritty if you press them at an angle? Like when rolling your thumb from A to X or B to Y?

I was actually a bit unclear.  The ABXY buttons feel great.  There's just a gap between the lip of the case and the button retainers that causes a rattle if shaken.  I've attached an image to illustrate.  A beautiful image.  I could just put a little padding between the membrane and button, and the issue would go away.  It's super minor in the grand scheme of things.  I'm still thrilled with the boxy pixel quality.

I'm holding off on further comment on the feel of the dpad until the compute module arrives sometime this week.  It feels mushy and a little uneven to me, but until I can see how it responds in-game, I'm hesitent to be very critical.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I ended up going with a plastic d-pad because I preferred the feel, but it's still a bit mushier than a typical controller so it might be more the silicone we're talking about than the d-pad itself. Assuming that's the case, I was a bit unsure how I felt about how mushy it was after finishing my build, but after playing a couple of games with it I switched to my 8bitdo controller and actually found it jarringly stiff in comparison.

I don't think I'd want something more mushy than it is, but I'm pretty happy with where it landed. I'd recommend playing on it for a few hours before making any judgements.

As for the buttons, I ended up 3D-printing the official boxy pixel models from https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3629475 and the plastic probably cuts down on the sound, though there's definitely a light rattle if I hold the unit by my ear and shake it. I wonder if you couldn't put kapton tape or something on the contact points so it's not metal-on-metal?

How did you achieve the black aluminium btw? I ended up with a second boxy pixel shell after jumping on a clear anodized one he released after ordering my first and was considering using the non-anodized one in a second build if I could turn it a nice shade of black.