CM3+ Slim with Joy Con Analogs (Xbox layout)
I posted a Steam Streaming test today. It works way better than thought it would. https://youtu.be/xJmIDA9kjvg
Wow, latency look really great, the problem with game streaming is the available bandwidth.

For the WiFi/BT, what you can do is to use a combination of custom script in Retropie menu to enable/disable it, this will still consume power but far less than "normal condition", if you want I can send you all you could need via email Wink
(03-23-2019, 11:36 AM)Porcinus Wrote: Wow, latency look really great, the problem with game streaming is the available bandwidth.

For the WiFi/BT, what you can do is to use a combination of custom script in Retropie menu to enable/disable it, this will still consume power but far less than "normal condition", if you want I can send you all you could need via email Wink

Do you have yours setup that way? I’m starting on another build shortly and was planning on trying to use a USB hub with a bluetooth and a wifi dongle inside the case, and have that powered through a switch. A couple problems I can see with that though. RetroPie doesn’t like to have things plugged and unplugged I’ve found. I run into freezes sometimes doing that. Another thing is that I’m probably going with dual 3DS analog sticks this time. Since they don’t have L3/R3 I may include the buttons in another location or another way. So I may not want to add another physical switch because it could start to get too messy with buttons and switches everywhere. Yeah that sounds really cool to check out. Thanks.
Yes, to add "item" to Retropie menu:
- In EmulationStation settings > Other settings > uncheck 'save metadata on exit'
- Copy the 2 attached files to /home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu/
- Chmod them to 0755
- Edit /opt/retropie/configs/all/emulationstation/gamelists/retropie/gamelist.xml and add before '</gameList>':
Code:
<game><path>./airplanemode-enable.sh</path><name>.Airplane Mode Enable</name></game>
<game><path>./airplanemode-disable.sh</path><name>.Airplane Mode Disable</name></game>

- Then restart EmulationStation and check if the new items are present.
- In EmulationStation settings > Other settings > check 'save metadata on exit' back
- Restart EmulationStation a last time.

Note: If you update Retropie you may need to remake this.

Cutting the power from USB device is not a good idea, to do it the "proper" way, you need to detach the device (at software level) problem being to reattach it after.
This is why I have setup these scripts on my system, basically the device still drain power, but far less.

For the freezes problems, I have notice this too, I think it come from a combination of glitch in the linux kernel and from the USB host into the CPU itself. It is far more difficult to replicate this behavior using a USB hub.

For the 3DS analog sticks, looking at them I think the feeling will be similar to PSP 1000 sticks. Did you tested it already?

Attached Files
.sh   airplanemode-enable.sh (Size: 86 bytes / Downloads: 0)
.sh   airplanemode-disable.sh (Size: 88 bytes / Downloads: 0)
(03-24-2019, 09:06 AM)Porcinus Wrote: Yes, to add "item" to Retropie menu:
- In EmulationStation settings > Other settings > uncheck 'save metadata on exit'
- Copy the 2 attached files to /home/pi/RetroPie/retropiemenu/
- Chmod them to 0755
- Edit /opt/retropie/configs/all/emulationstation/gamelists/retropie/gamelist.xml and add before '</gameList>':
Code:
<game><path>./airplanemode-enable.sh</path><name>.Airplane Mode Enable</name></game>
<game><path>./airplanemode-disable.sh</path><name>.Airplane Mode Disable</name></game>

- Then restart EmulationStation and check if the new items are present.
- In EmulationStation settings > Other settings > check 'save metadata on exit' back
- Restart EmulationStation a last time.

Note: If you update Retropie you may need to remake this.

Cutting the power from USB device is not a good idea, to do it the "proper" way, you need to detach the device (at software level) problem being to reattach it after.
This is why I have setup these scripts on my system, basically the device still drain power, but far less.

For the freezes problems, I have notice this too, I think it come from a combination of glitch in the linux kernel and from the USB host into the CPU itself. It is far more difficult to replicate this behavior using a USB hub.

For the 3DS analog sticks, looking at them I think the feeling will be similar to PSP 1000 sticks. Did you tested it already?

Thanks a lot! I’ll get into that in a bit. 

I ordered the 3DS sticks in one order and then the caps in another to save money. So now I only have the sticks with no caps as I wait for the mail. But they seem to be much better than PSP 1000/2000 sticks. They feel smoother, firmer, and I think they have more travel. They definitely feel like a better stick. I like that the PSP analog stick gets the job done, but I’m not a fan of the feel of it. I have high hopes for these 3DS sticks, but it’s hard to tell. I think I won’t be able to know for sure how good they feel until they are in place and I’m in a game Smile . Another thing is I still have to come up with a new place for L3/R3. Somewhere comfortable and decent looking. Maybe on the back. Ahhh I never know anything until I get started hahahaha.
If you keep your slim form factor, it will be really hard to fit L3/R3 but if you go for a normal shell, the best place could be to place them under L/R trigger if you want to use switches.
Another way is to stay with Switch sticks and use the button function, far easier I believe Smile
(03-24-2019, 09:53 PM)Porcinus Wrote: If you keep your slim form factor, it will be really hard to fit L3/R3 but if you go for a normal shell, the best place could be to place them under L/R trigger if you want to use switches.
Another way is to stay with Switch sticks and use the button function, far easier I believe Smile

Hmmmm, well I do like a challenge
Yep, I understand this Wink
I have some shells on order, I am thinking about making a clear or a clear purple built Smile
(03-25-2019, 10:11 AM)Porcinus Wrote: Yep, I understand this Wink
I have some shells on order, I am thinking about making a clear or a clear purple built Smile

Oh man I have a clear case on the way right now! (2 actually) I don know if I’ll be able to make it work though. It’s going to be tough to keep it looking nice.
I never got my hand on these, I just hope that this will be less "cloudy" than what they look like on pictures.

You don't really have to worry about the internal cutting quality, even in orange clear, little defects don't show that much on the exterior Smile