Freeplay CM3 + BoxyPixel Slim
Long term lurker, but finally made the call to build a Freeplay. I have built a bunch of Gameboy Zero's and modified one of my GBA's for backlit + Rechargeable Batteries but for some reason they all feel sort of "janky" or Fragile and I feel as if they have to be in a case rather than the side pocket of my bag etc. 

This Freeplay + Aluminum shell is a match made in heaven, It feels like a tank, and Iw had it in the side pocket of my bag all week for short session gaming between work and other things. I LOVE IT. 

In terms of build, It would appear from other posts that the shell cuts can vary by a couple of millimeters here and there, I had to modify the screen (cut off a sliver of corner plastic) for it to fit in perfectly, but that was simple to do. 

The BoxyPixel buttons feel orgasmic (really) so even though I wanted all orange buttons, I ended up going 2/2 to keep that button feel for certain games, it really feels great to click. 

I did have some odd problems getting the image to load, but after 3 formats, it booted fine to 4.4 and has been running smooth since. 

Now my question to you all, is what emulators do you recommend with this button layout? I am used to the GBZ with left joystick, so not sure where the limitation line will lie. 

I currently have some Atari 7800/Lynx, Gameboy , Color , Advanced, SNES and Mega Mega Drive loaded but am looking if there are other systems that support this button layout.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Nice! How’s the heat dissipation been, with the aluminum shell? I’d imagine that an aluminum shell might be beneficial if you can manage to transfer the heat from the CM3 to the shell. I’m going to be doing a Boxy Pixel build soon, and I was thinking that I might find a shorter heatsink or file one down to make it fit snugly, then put it into contact with the shell using thermal tape, in order to effectively turn the whole shell into thermal mass / or a heatsink.

I might also buy the CM3+ as an upgrade, which I hear has better heat dissipation anyway.

Also, does the Boxy Pixel shell leave any room for a slightly larger battery, or is it crammed in there pretty snugly?
(05-31-2019, 01:45 PM)GameBro Advance Wrote: Nice! How’s the heat dissipation been, with the aluminum shell? I’d imagine that an aluminum shell might be beneficial if you can manage to transfer the heat from the CM3 to the shell. I’m going to be doing a Boxy Pixel build soon, and I was thinking that I might find a shorter heatsink or file one down to make it fit snugly, then put it into contact with the shell using thermal tape, in order to effectively turn the whole shell into thermal mass / or a heatsink.

I might also buy the CM3+ as an upgrade, which I hear has better heat dissipation anyway.

Also, does the Boxy Pixel shell leave any room for a slightly larger battery, or is it crammed in there pretty snugly?

It has room for a bigger battery. I used a Freeplay-approved battery and it has lots of room to move around. I do not have exact dimensions at the moment for how large you can go, but I feel like a 2000mah with the right dimensions is possible.
(06-01-2019, 12:16 AM)Ketaketish Wrote:
(05-31-2019, 01:45 PM)GameBro Advance Wrote: Nice! How’s the heat dissipation been, with the aluminum shell? I’d imagine that an aluminum shell might be beneficial if you can manage to transfer the heat from the CM3 to the shell. I’m going to be doing a Boxy Pixel build soon, and I was thinking that I might find a shorter heatsink or file one down to make it fit snugly, then put it into contact with the shell using thermal tape, in order to effectively turn the whole shell into thermal mass / or a heatsink.

It has room for a bigger battery. I used a Freeplay-approved battery and it has lots of room to move around. I do not have exact dimensions at the moment for how large you can go, but I feel like a 2000mah with the right dimensions is possible.

I don’t understand - doesn’t the Freeplay battery already have a capacity of 2000 mAH? Did you mean to say that you think that you could fit a battery in there even larger than 2000 mAH?
(06-01-2019, 04:51 AM)GameBro Advance Wrote:
(06-01-2019, 12:16 AM)Ketaketish Wrote:

I don’t understand - doesn’t the Freeplay battery already have a capacity of 2000 mAH? Did you mean to say that you think that you could fit a battery in there even larger than 2000 mAH?

I like the idea of filing down the heat sink, but to be honest, I have not had any heat issues so far, granted, due to the button layout, I am not running any N64 / PSX games, but after finishing off a 3 hour James Bond session (such a cool game) I cant say there was any more heat than what my hands generated. 

I used the Freeplay battery and at least for the Slim, I feel like its pretty snug, not sure if you could do a bigger battery without it putting pressure on the screen.
First of all, I need to say that I really love this idea of using 2 "standard" buttons and 2 of the metal buttons. It gives the appearance of a stock look (since the additional buttons blend in with the background) while also giving the full features of the added X/Y buttons.

Just for reference, the battery that ships with the Freeplay CM3 DIY Kit is indeed a 2000mAh cell.

Thank you very much, Helgi125, for posting the writeup and the photos. It's a great looking machine!
Card Fighters' Clash 2 English Translation ( http://cfc2english.blogspot.com/ )
Neo Geo Pocket Flash Cart and Linker Project ( http://www.flashmasta.com/ )
Avatar art thanks to Trev-Mun ( http://trevmun.deviantart.com/ )
(06-04-2019, 05:18 AM)Flavor Wrote: First of all, I need to say that I really love this idea of using 2 "standard" buttons and 2 of the metal buttons.  It gives the appearance of a stock look (since the additional buttons blend in with the background) while also giving the full features of the added X/Y buttons.

Just for reference, the battery that ships with the Freeplay CM3 DIY Kit is indeed a 2000mAh cell.

Thank you very much, Helgi125, for posting the writeup and the photos.  It's a great looking machine!

Did the first version of these kits come with 2x 1000mAh batteries? I didn't buy a battery when i ordered my Boxy pixel kit since i had some left over.

If so, then disregard my previous comment about having some extra space with the battery lol.
(06-04-2019, 05:32 AM)Ketaketish Wrote: Did the first version of these kits come with 2x 1000mAh batteries? I didn't buy a battery when i ordered my Boxy pixel kit since i had some left over.

If so, then disregard my previous comment about having some extra space with the battery lol.

Yes, you are correct. I don't remember when, but at one point we switched from 2x1000mAh to a single 2000mAh battery.
Card Fighters' Clash 2 English Translation ( http://cfc2english.blogspot.com/ )
Neo Geo Pocket Flash Cart and Linker Project ( http://www.flashmasta.com/ )
Avatar art thanks to Trev-Mun ( http://trevmun.deviantart.com/ )
(06-04-2019, 05:48 AM)Flavor Wrote:
(06-04-2019, 05:32 AM)Ketaketish Wrote: Did the first version of these kits come with 2x 1000mAh batteries? I didn't buy a battery when i ordered my Boxy pixel kit since i had some left over.

Yes, you are correct.  I don't remember when, but at one point we switched from 2x1000mAh to a single 2000mAh battery.

Good call!